if you're the boss, and your employee approached you with this...

phasegirl

I've been working at my same job for the longest time - in fact over 16 years, and I really would like a change - it's not the organization, as I love the working culture here. I wouldn't think about leaving, but I no longer want to live in the city that I live in. I tried to dismiss my thoughts, but I can't do it. I find that I'm growing old doing the same ol' thing and not enjoying or at least taking risks in life.

But now that I'm free, and still rather young, I'd love to experience other cultures and go out and get a work visa and live somewhere else.

For the last couple of years, I've been exploring overseas working visas, and although the process seems intimidating, it is not a hard thing to do. But here's the deal: I have to get employer references, otherwise, the host country will think that I'm some kind of vagabond/boat person who's coming over to leech on to benefits, (which of course I'm not).

So here's my question: If after working for a good 16 years at my company and I suddenly asked my bosses for the recommendation for an outside work visa, would it look like I'm "losing the plot"? Would you - as my boss, feel reluctant to give me a recommendation? My bosses and I get along fine, and they encourage me to seek opportunities, but I think that my working overseas would look really odd to them - or at least like too much of a drastic change...

Thoughts...??....

This is your life and their opinion shouldn't matter!

Most ppl are to afraid to make such a leap--and therefore may think/feel it's odd....but, so long as you feel it's what's in your heart and right for YOU--then go for it & opinions be damned!

Follow your own path and you'll never live with regret

I think that it is something that is standard for employers (I used to manage), as long as your in good standings with them, it shouldn't be an issue. It's understanding after doing the same thing for such a long time that you would want to switch it up-- be adventurous.. If your management doesn't accept that- probably better off looking for something different anyways.

I wouldn't get a work VISA right now because you don't have a lead on a job there. People can't just decide to work overseas, they need a job offer most of the time. You can't just land there and expect to find work, or just wait tables, etc. as you wouldn't be able to support yourself. If you want to experience other cultures, before I would try working overseas, I would go on a volunteer or mission trip. You can go and work on a volunteer project in another country for a week, ten days, 3 weeks, even a month or two etc to experience a little bit of another culture, while still having the security of keeping a good position at your company. This way you will know for sure if its just a phase, and if it isn't, you'll be able to experience first hand the realities of the culture, etc, and figure out where you are best suited to go if you ultimately decide to go for permanent or for a year or two. I have known people that have felt that there experiences were enough of what they wanted a taste of and went back to their job like usual or realized the freedoms they had in the good ol USA

I wouldn't get a work VISA right now because you don't have a lead on a job there. People can't just decide to work overseas, they need a job offer most of the time. You can't just land there and expect to find work, or just wait tables, etc. as you wouldn't be able to support yourself.

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

I've done my research (remember I've been looking into this for two years now) as to where I want to live, etc. and I'm very much aware of the process (at least for the countries that I'm interested in).

The country that I'm interested in working in has several visa options - but the one that I'm applying for is a skilled Visa (or the equivalent of a US green card). They will allow me work rights (or a working permit along with permanent residence) if they see that I meet the skilled qualifications. This is the part where I submit my university transcripts along with my employer(s) references, and then the agency from the host country will make that decision.

FYI, you can't get work unless you are "legal" (i.e. have a work visa), or unless a company is willing to sponsor you - and if they do that, you better have awesome skills and references...

As for the risks, it is something that I need to take... I don't want to be 50, 60, 70 years old and then look back and see that I haven't done anything with my life - or taken any risks, except work full time and then go home to pretty much nothing except to complete the routine all over again.

Depends on your employer. Not all people are reasonable. Some take it really personal if you apply somewhere else. If you have a great relationship with the (which you say you do) then explain it to them as you have done here. You are grateful for the experience and exposure they have given you but you want to explore working in another country. You have checked out the requirements and you require ..... Let them know that you haven't accepted a job yet and you will give them plenty of notice before you go.

Does your organization allow for a leave of absence? Some places will give a person a leave of absence for a period of time to get other experience. If you can take a 1 year leave of absence and go abroad, then after a year you can decide what you want to do. Chances are they would hire someone on a temporary basis during your leave and then if you choose not to come back the other person would be made permanent.

Archived