Does this sound sketchy to you?

2-ish weeks ago, this bilingual staffing company called me about a position that one of their clients has. (Pay is okay I guess, benefits, and the company is pretty big). They magically found my resume on monster (I thought I had exercised my privacy settings but I guess not....) and they were interested. Anyway the guy transfered me to his assitant to check how my French is (I live in Canada btw), and she said my french was okay but needed some work. "Fair enough, I guess I didn't get the job" I thought. Nope I was wrong. The guy told me to practise my french for 3 days and call him back. I called him back 3 days later like he told me to, they tested my French again, and said it got better but I needed to keep practising for an additional week and to call him back. I found this weird, just don't hire me if I'm not good enough right? I called him back anyway, this was on monday, got tested again, they said it improved again, and he was going to send the client my resume. He also told me to call him back on Thursday, tomorrow.

Something is just not sitting right with me in regard to this guy. The staffing company is legit, the client is legit, but the way they're going about it is just WEIRD. Shouldn't THEY call ME? If I wasn't good enough the first time why are they even bothering?

Oh and to also add, I had two other interviews today. The first interview required a French test where I got 95%. The second interview consisted of an employee just talking to me in French to see if I was telling the truth which obviously I was, and he said my French was great. These two companies are even bigger so I don't see why they'd be interested in me or even waste their time with me if my French was mediocre. In my opinion my French is just fine, I don't sound like a native person from France but what do you expect? It's my second language!

Oh and a year ago I got an offer for a bilingual position at a huge newspaper, but I had decided to continue with school and not take the job.

So with all that proof I've received from 3 major companies that I'm hire-able as a bilingual, I'm finding it very odd that the staffing agency in question is going to this length of making me call them back for weeks at this point lol. What do you guys think?

Hmmm....this is hard to say. If your gut feeling says they are sketchy than they probably are, and you should trust it.

I def know how you feel ~ I once went on a job interview where they told me to "think up an ipod-like product & call the boss and try to sell it to her. Then, when we see her tomorrow, we'll tell her it was you who called her. That way, it will be like you already interviewed with her." .....right. I didn't get the job, but boy, am I glad I didn't. Having me prank-call the woman in charge is pretty weird, you agree? lol.

Archived