How does one deal with shame?

mammadon

The wisdom of life is that it's a journey you are evolving and learning as you go. It's true some people are wiser than others at any age, and well some of that knowledge gained is related to experiences, others just from an inner knowing. It's a gift as with anything.

The wisdom of life is that it's a journey you are evolving and learning as you go. It's true some people are wiser than others at any age, and well some of that knowledge gained is related to experiences, others just from an inner knowing. It's a gift as with anything.

Why is it a gift? I want it too.

I want to know the basic wisdom of life.

There is no such thing. In my opinion anyway. There's no basic wisdom.

You can guess what the whatever "wisdom" is that you're talking about, but there is no such thing. You just live your life the way you want to and go after the things you want to.

On a sidenote, I've always had a soft spot for Taoism. link removed

That's the first thing I thought when you said the "basic wisdom of life".

But after studying philosophy, I guess I have to say I'm even more confused about life in general.

There is no such thing. In my opinion anyway. There's no basic wisdom.

You can guess what the whatever "wisdom" is that you're talking about, but there is no such thing. You just live your life the way you want to and go after the things you want to.

On a sidenote, I've always had a soft spot for Taoism. link removed

That's the first thing I thought when you said the "basic wisdom of life".

But after studying philosophy, I guess I have to say I'm even more confused about life in general.

I don't really believe you.

Is this PC society that says this, or is this truth?

The truth of course. If you think of this deeper you can see it Shame is something what is taughed by different kind of authors and leaders in our society to controll our actions. Think about school and how things goes with students. Or those schools which are "behind" time and also teachers uses shame as a method to controll students. There is no shame, that is bluff.

My advice - spend some time with a small child. Things I have learned from doing just that especially for the last few years:

It's good to see how different things feel and react differently in different settings -for example the way a leaf feels when it's rubbed against another leaf as opposed to against a rock.

It's good to know what you don't know -so for example if you encounter an object that doesn't seem to belong in the environment you are in and you are puzzled don't be afraid to ask someone who might have superior knowledge.

Keep an open mind and be ready for surprises - for example (from a child's perspective) if you push a button and it lights up it doesn't mean that if you push the button next to it it also will light up -and if it doesn't there might be more than one reason why it didn't work the same way.

Don't forget to try things in a new way- the world looks different if you run than if you walk, if you walk backwards, if you walk looking at your toes v. looing up at the ceiling.

Just some basic wisdom I've picked up/been reminded of.

The truth of course. If you think of this deeper you can see it Shame is something what is taughed by different kind of authors and leaders in our society to controll our actions. Think about school and how things goes with students. Or those schools which are "behind" time and also teachers uses shame as a method to controll students. There is no shame, that is bluff.

I disagree, I don't see how emotions can be inculcated.

I disagree, I don't see how emotions can be inculcated.

Of course emotions can be inculcated. If someone says to a child "You should be ashamed of your behaviour", chances are the child will feel ashamed. If the child hears that enough, he/she will believe it and start feeling that way. Feelings, thoughts, behaviours are all learned from the time you're born by your parents, environment etc.

Of course emotions can be inculcated. If someone says to a child "You should be ashamed of your behaviour", chances are the child will feel ashamed. If the child hears that enough, he/she will believe it and start feeling that way. Feelings, thoughts, behaviours are all learned from the time you're born by your parents, environment etc.

I disagree with you. Emotions are neurological, not social.

Excuse me, but who are you to state what matters and what does not? I can view anything I choose in any fashion, who is to prevent me?

I'm sorry, you must've gotten mixed messages mammadon.

I am simply suggesting a few lines to live by to the OP in realtion to the question ''How dose one deal with shame?''

Suggesting not demanding

Archived