Friend in rehab!!! Struggling to keep him positive!

linda1984

I just need some advise on how to keep somebody positive thats in rehab. I have a friend there who I care for deeply. But talking to him is like an emotional rollercoaster. He is doing well as far as the drugs are concerned, but emotionally he is a wreck. We'll be talking over the phone and he will be fine one minute and the next minute he will lose it and have a total break down, he sometimes talks about suicide. I dont know what to say to him anymore, I just want to know if it might be better not to contact him? Or should I keep calling?

If you calling is stressing him out, it should probably stop. If not, and he's just a mess, there might not be anything to do. Sometimes people go through phases like that and it's just stuck in their head for a while. If he's a good friend, he probably enjoys hearing your voice. You're calling, so you care. He must realize that. Just stay positive and try to give him that energy. Hopefully, he will move past this soon.

You might want to try contacting his drug counselor at the treatment center and ask their advice on how to be supportive of your friend. They probably can't share anything private about his condition but I would imagine they would be willing to talk to you about what might work best to motivate him.

Archived