Uncontrollable intrusive violent thoughts and anxiety ?

This is really tough to explain but I will try as it has bother me for a long time.

When I am with family or friends, I always get these intrusive violent thoughts of hurting them some how. For example, when I see a knife, I get these urges like what would happen if I decided to stab someone I know and makes me anxious.

When I am with close friends, I get the same intrusive thoughts like, what if I run him over with my car, steal his money.

I hate having these thoughts because it's exactly opposite of what I would do ! This is why I am so disturbed.

With strangers, I feel far more anxiety and highly paranoid. These intrusive violent thoughts get even more difficult. For example, I am having a job interview, and I get these thoughts like what if I slip cyanide pills inside this person's drink and kill him ?

Intrusive thoughts are not only violent but sexually inappropriate.

It disturbs me a lot, and it's affected my social skills, and how I behave. I feel sometime ago, I began to feel lack of emotions or sympathy for people. I think a part of it is who I am, and a part of me is voluntary to controll these intrusive thoughts.

This was way worse when I was a kid but it still happens to this date.....am I crazy ?

Hey pal,

I don't think you are crazy at all. You sound like you have a good heart and mind because your actions are way different than your thoughts, which seem to be on the not-so-positive side. If you acted on these negative thoughts it may be a different story, but the fact that you realize they are not appropriate speaks to the fact that you aren't as "crazy" as you think.

All of us have thoughts that we would never act on; for most people they aren't as intrusive, it sounds, as how you are describing it.

I don't think you are crazy, but I definitely think you may benefit from seeing a psychiatrist or other mental health professional. It's the 21st century - mental health has made great strides and you may find much less anxiety if you tackle the issue with the help of a professional Visitng a professional isn't just for "crazy" people anymore - as a student of psychology I can tell you that the longer you wait to address issues, the harder they are to resolve.

You are not crazy at all! I'm not a psychologist or anything but I do study psychology as an undergrad student and that can actually be a symptom of OCD with just the obsessions part, i read a case study on a patient who suffered from those thoughts too (even had to keep all knifes hidden because it caused her so much anxiety even though she would never actually act on her thoughts). It's normal for these thoughts to sometimes pop in peoples heads and it happens to me too. (obviously not normal to act on them but i would say that since you are saying it interferes with your social skills and is causing you distress, you would probably benefit from having someone help you to deal with them, i know there are different behavioral techniques to help you manage the thoughts and the anxiety they provoke.

I would explain these thoughts to a professional. If the emergence of these thoughts is something new to you (ie, they haven't "been there" for as long as you can remember) it might be a sign of an emerging condition (whether it purely physical or psychological) that needs attention.

This could be one of two very common disorders, both of which are treatable. It is really important that you seek some advice from a healthcare professional about these ideas. It sounds like you are in control, this is a really good thing. Remember that whatever you do, you are absolutely accountable for your actions.

• 3 years later...

Archived