My boyfriend and I live on oposite coasts. So far things have gone great with our relationship.

My problem is this: I recently decided that I want to transfer to a college where he lives. I KNOW that my choice to attend that school is not based on the fact that he lives there- it's simply a perk; an incentive, if you will. I am pretty confident that if anything ever happened and we broke off the relationship, it would not effect my wanting to attend this school. But what if it does? We can never be totally prepared for the curveballs that life throws at us. I can say that I'm prepared to deal with that aspect of it, but I don't think I really am. I don't think that we'll split up, but how can I prepare myself just in case? The last thing that I want is for my academic career to suffer because of my relationship.

Just be sure that you are not dependant on him. Make other friends there. Have your own place. Be able to take care of yourself.

When you first go there you are leaving your friends, family and everything you know. Then if you split you won't have him either and so be prepared to have your own friends to go out with. Not shared friends. That is too hard then in a breakup.