For those of you that have been around here for a while you may remember me. Things have been busy, and I've missed being around.

Anyway, I have a problem. Even though I'm only going to have my job for another month before I go back to school, I can't stand this job. I want to get back to a less stressful job, like being in charge of the safety of 100 or so "normal" people. As it is I'm working at a higher level boys home with 28 delinquent boys from 12 to 18 years old. There have been days where all I have gotten done is to break up fights all day and chase runaways. If it wasn't just another month I would quit.

I guess that doesn't have much to do with my question, but how many of you would keep a job you really don't like most of the time if it paid twice as much as most of your past jobs? Would the money make it worth it to you?

If I totally couldn't stand a job I had, I'd try to find a new one. Though I'm 15, I can imagine there's probably nothing worse than waking up in the morning dreading going to work. As for the money, I think being miserable and getting a certain amount of money is worse than doing something you love and being paid a little bit less. At least you wouldn't be constantly stressed out.

Good luck with your job...and hang in there! Only one more month!

Greetings Nifty Swifty,

Yes I remember ya! I've been here awhile too.

Hmmm.... difficult question..... If it were me, I'd probably hold out one more month, if that's all you have left. But I don't like job hopping. I usually stay at a job for quite some time, or until I move. It looks better on a resume also. Also if you give the standard two weeks notice to quit, then there goes half the month anyway, right? I think it's ethical to give 2 weeks notice when quitting.

However, if you are completely miserable and just can't take it anymore, then do what you need to do. I love helping people, and obviously you do too, or you wouldn't be here. But I can imagine how stressing that job would be. Those boys really need your help, but only you can really decide.... we can just give input, or tell you what we think we might do in that situation. It's your life, no one else's, right........

Ooh...Good Question Nifty! Welcome back btw.

I'm going through a similr situation. I used to work as an optician, in which the salary was pretty sweet. Let's just say, whatever I made then, is much more than what I make now. I love the new job. I loved working as an optician, but not as much. Mainly because I felt like I was working for Corporate Money Grubbers!! , who could care less about patient's needs, and would rather push on quota and sales. That part I did not like. Working at the new job that I do, is basically 'retail,' paid at a lower wage. It's kinda like the old job, but with less pressure. Go figure, that's just the nature of any retail job. Don't like the fact that the pay is lower, but I enjoy it much more, in a sense that i don't have to put up with as much stress compared to other job. My only complaint is that they demand too much hours from me, and the pay is less; thereforeeee, the paycheck isn't as FAT compared to the old job.

However, one thing that we both have in common with our situations, is the fact that our job seems to be somewhat rewarding. Sure, stopping fights and dealing with drama might get annoying, espeically with working with delinquents, but in the end, if you're there to help them, then the rewards are far better than you think. Now that I'm at the new job, what I can tell you is, not only do I miss the old salary, but more importantly, I miss working for those who could not afford the best eye care, but somehow, I always managed to work off a hefty deal for them. I miss giving away those 'discounts'. It's like giving away charity. lol!, in a good way. Keep the job for the time being. It's not like it's a life-long career, right? But, if you don't like the people that you work with, then working for a job that pays less, is better in a sense that you'll be happier if you bond with the people at your work.

It's a balance of pay, verses management. The people that you deal with on your job aren't as much of a negative impact, I don't think, because that's what we're there for: to help others. I guess that's just how I see it, because working also means 'dedication.' If we're happy and proud to do what we're doing, then I think that's the 'right' job for us, career wise. Other than that, since it's a temporary job (if it is), then try not to lose hope. Try talking and doing some 'peer' counseling with those kids. I think that's what they need most, is someone there to listen to them.

If I had to deal with what you do, I'd first all, try to counsel them. I guess that's just in my nature, because I naturally like to give advice. Not as a career thoug. However, ultimately, what's most rewarding is knowing that somehow, being there for them, does make a difference. If we engage ourselves into our jobs, and dedicate ourselves to it, then we will find a sense of meaning in our jobs. Especially, if our work is more beneficial to others than we think, even if we're unaware of it. thereforeeee, we will think less of the pay. (That's just me speaking, since I don't need to worry about paying mortgage. lol )

Hope this Helps. Good luck to you Nifty. Glad to hear that you have a busy life. I do too, so I know how you feel. After all, this is all a learning lesson. Everything that we encounter and endure in our lives, is meant to teach us something. Keep yourself inspired by learning about others (including those delinquents, I'm sure that they just need a good friend). My heart goes out to them. And, I wish you the best of luck on your decisions with your career. All the best to you. Mahlina

• 1 month later...

If you are absolutely stressed to the max, I think a month is a long time to stick out a job that is clearly upsetting you. Here's a compromise: tell them you are giving them a week's notice, and if this really poses a problem, you will give them two weeks notice, but the job is really, really stressing you out.

good luck, Scout