Does anyone have any info on the affects of "middle child syndrome" in adults.

rustyschackelf

I've been doing some research on the affects that "middle child syndrome" has on people in their adult lives, in other words how growing up as a middle child an affect a person and their personality when they reach adulthood.

From everything I've seen it looks as if the middle child feels that they have a voice that is generally not heard in the family especially by the parents, and that their accomplishments/actions/achievements often go unrecognized or overlooked. They also feel as if the oldest and youngest children have a crucial role in the family structure, whereas the middle child is simple "just there."

With everything I've seen from research and in my own experience from dealing with people (adults) who grew up as middle children, they tend to have very intense and "in your face" personalities. They also display a great deal of attention-seeking behavior and frequently try to make themselves the center of attention in social situations. Another trait I've noticed is being extremely opinionated, responding very negatively to ideas they don't agree with, spurts of selfishness, and always saying whatever is on their mind (even when it is not an appropriate time/place to do so). I think these traits often stem from the notion that growing up their voice was often not heard, and their actions were often unrecognized or overlooked; and as a result when they become adults they make sure that their voice is always heard and their opinions are always known.

If anyone has any other info concerning middle child syndrome please share it on this thread.

What constitutes as a middle child? My brother is 4 years older than me, and then I have two sisters that are younger. In a family with 4 children, I wonder how the middle is classified? In any case my sister is outgoing but not attention seeking, hardworking, she is a bit "bossy" and "pushy" and is definitely an overachiever, but not so much that it's in your face, it's more of her nature. She is "moderate" really in everything. I'm outgoing if I feel comfortable, and I do seek attention, but also it's not all in your face.... I'm not too sure about your analysis.

I'm a middle child and I go to great lengths NOT to be the centre of attention. Growing up I did feel very overshadowed by my brothers but my parents have been really supportive of everything I've done and have shown equal amounts of interest and pride in our achievements. I am a far more independent person than anyone else in my family though my brothers get on much better with each other than either of them do with me. I have strong opinions but I don't feel the need to make them known to the world - I'm happy to agree to disagree and don't enjoy confrontation at all. Just a snapshot of my middle child life.

I've noticed a few middle children who tend to be the "trouble makers". I would think for attention seeking reasons(?). My brother is the "trouble maker" in my family. He was always rebellious and still is, to some extent, as an adult. My friend's sister is the same way(along with other friend's families), as the middle child being a "trouble maker".Though middle children tend to be the "peace maker" at times, too. When the oldest and youngest fight, they can step in to stop it.

Archived