The Negative Side To Positive Self-Statements.

So once in a while I turn into a pessimistic person. When it happens, I try to force myself to have a positive attitude, and then a few days later it all backfires and I fall into an even worse mood.

I read a study that explains it:

"The psychologists suggested that, like overly positive praise, unreasonably positive self-statements, such as "I accept myself completely," can provoke contradictory thoughts in individuals with low self-esteem. Such negative thoughts can overwhelm the positive thoughts. And, if people are instructed to focus exclusively on positive thoughts, they may find negative thoughts to be especially discouraging.

As the authors concluded, "Repeating positive self-statements may benefit certain people [such as individuals with high self-esteem] but backfire for the very people who need them the most."

source: link removed

I just thought I share it with you guys.

It sort of makes sense I suppose.

Does it apply to ALL positive thinking? Or just broad, unrealistic statements like "I accept myself completely"? I think such blanket statements which may be impossible to believe honestly may make you feel worse.

I think positive thinking is a process. Start with the small stuff. Start to appreciate not ALL of you at once, but focus on one good trait that you have and move on from there.

It sort of makes sense I suppose.

Does it apply to ALL positive thinking? Or just broad, unrealistic statements like "I accept myself completely"? I think such blanket statements which may be impossible to believe honestly may make you feel worse.

I think positive thinking is a process. Start with the small stuff. Start to appreciate not ALL of you at once, but focus on one good trait that you have and move on from there.

I think it's more about unrealistic positive thinking. After a while you feel like you are lying to yourself and it makes you question the whole "positive thinking". Personally, I like to be reasonable and realistic and it's easier for me to come to a conclusion logically than just have faith or believe in something with the hope of it being or becoming true.

Yeah I can totally agree with that.

unrealistic positive thinking is hokey and fake...and deep down, you know it and that's why you feel worse. Then you start feeling bad because you feel that you should be believing these thoughts but you don't.

Do you know anything of CBT (Cognitive Behavior Therapy)?

It stresses this point too. How important it is that the positive statements are logical, reasonable, and that you can believe in them. Wishy washy statements that are 'positive' just for the heck of it - don't work. You have to actively convince yourself of their truth, find the truth of it, as it were.

Interesting post, worriedgirl.

Archived