Anyone know how to treat OCD? How do you know if you have it?

You should go to a therapist to be diagnosed.

I do think a lot of people become obssessive after a break-up though. We all go through the "obssession" stage. It doesn't mean that you are OCD. But, at the same time, it also doesn't mean you are not.

If you think you obssess over other things and not just the ex, you should go see a therapist.

You should go to a therapist to be diagnosed.

I do think a lot of people become obssessive after a break-up though. We all go through the "obssession" stage. It doesn't mean that you are OCD. But, at the same time, it also doesn't mean you are not.

If you think you obssess over other things and not just the ex, you should go see a therapist.

I started therapy yesterday and will bring this up next week. I only obsess over the past few ex's that have dumped me. It sucks, I have been NC for around 9 weeks and I don't want to think of her anymore. Trying very hard to stop the thoughts.

I am just checking to see if this is mental only or chemical as well.

You both may be right it just might be because of the breakup and nothing more. I am just not sure and if there are meds that can help rewire my brain to stop this I will take them!

I think it's somewhat normal to obsess about ex's after a breakup.

If you feel like it's affecting your life, you should seek treatment. I've seen quite a few OCD patients who have been completely cured through exposure therapy.

I do not think it's chemical as I do not think it's common to treat OCD with medication.

What is exposure therapy?

Well, it really depends on your OCD. But, it's basically exposing you to the things you obsess about.

A person who obsesses about cleanliness must not bathe or purposely touch dirty things.

A person who obsesses about how they put on their clothes must do it incorrectly.

Are you sure that you have OCD? You need to get properly diagnosed before you start any kind of treatment.

It is a chemical imbalance that is normally triggered by some stressful event in your life.

What Causes OCD?

OCD is thought by many to be a physical or biological disease. Researchers have identified specific areas of the brain that are affected: the orbitofrontal cortex, cingulate gyrus, and striatum. Brain imaging studies indicate that these areas are overactive in people with OCD.

The disorder involves neurotransmitters -- brain chemicals that carry impulses from one nerve cell to another -- that behave abnormally in the affected areas of the brain. Serotonin is one important neurotransmitter involved in the disorder, as well as dopamine and glutamine.

Stress alone does not cause OCD; however, a stressful event like the death of a loved one, birth of a child, or divorce can trigger the onset of the disorder. It may be safe to say that a person is born with a genetic predisposition to having OCD, which is often dormant until some stressful event occurs and triggers the OCD into an active phase. It is important for people who have OCD to learn how to deal with stress in healthy ways

So is obsessing only about your ex's OCD? We psuedo dated for 3 months before I went NC 9 weeks ago. I have had so much trouble not thinking about the relationship although I know she is not coming back and it is not good for me.

This is retarded and I want it to stop...

I'm not a doctor, but I don't believe that just "obsessing" about your ex is enough to classify you as having the clinical disorder, "OCD."

This forum is FILLED with people who can't stop thinking about their ex and the relationship, I'm sure you've noticed -- and they don't all have OCD. It's an emotionally significant event for most people, where questions are often left unanswered, regrets may remain, you're grieving the loss of someone who you trusted a lot to in your life, and you may have residual anger and longing. So this is a normal process and for many people it takes a while for new things in life to fade the impact of a break-up.

OCD stands for "obsessive-compulsive disorder", and people with it are prone to repetitive, compulsive behaviors that they feel they have no control over. It can be a ruminating process, but usually it manifests somewhere in one's life as ritualistic behaviors with an almost addictive quality -- like needing to excessively wash ones hands, check and recheck things, even things like being a super duper neat freak, or compulsive gambling, or hoarding are forms of it. As brazilgirl said, neurotransmitters are involved, like serotonin, and your brain is wired to be predisposed towards these kinds of "outlets" for anxiety. In the absence of any such habitual behavior, it would be very hard to make a case for your diagnosis being OCD.

What you need to do is occupy your mind with other interests, other friends and if you feel overwhelmed doing this alone, perhaps seek therapy to work through unresolved issues you have with the breakup (since your mind may be continuing to go there trying to "fix" things that you feel weren't healthy in the relationship or your own contribution to it.) When you can get closure on the reasons it didn't work and what you have learned from it, the revisiting it will gradually diminish.

Thanks Tired, I may be just like a bunch of people on here and just still trying to put all the pieces together. I don't think there is anything left to analyze or figure out. I have done this for 5 months in my brain. I will never get closer from her it will have to come from myself.

I just want my brain to stop thinking about her and to just move on. I have obsessed way too long over this girl. I am doing better but was just wondering why I allowed myself to do it this for so many months. I thought maybe it is because I had OCD. I never want to go through this again and want to learn all I can.

The first 3 months past b/u were really bad. Lost 10 pounds , could not sleep, no focus at work and constant thoughts of her. This just does not seem normal. No one should have that much power over our thoughts. It has been 5 months now since the b/u we still pseudo dated for 3 months post b/u and then I went NC and have been for 9 weeks or so. As I mentioned I am doing better but it is still hard. Still thinking too much about her.

Archived