Whey protein shake good for weight loss?

I have been working out 5-6 times a week and changed to a healthy diet about a month ago. My goal is to loose 5-10lbs and just get toned.

I have been on the Elliptical machine or stationary bike for 20-30 min each of those days, and switch up upper and lower body workouts (weights) every other day.

I am a female at 5'6 140lbs, and I didn't loose any weight yet, but I am getting very nicley toned. Well, I understand that muscle weighs more than fat, but when will the lbs come off?

My friend told me I should add whey protein shakes to my diet, that they will help my weight loss while I am building muscle. Is that true? I bought desinger whey protein shake but I worry that I gain more weight once I start using it

Any advice???

It'll help you as long as they are quality protein shake and have low fat content (or zero) in a sense that the body is getting the necessary protein/nutrition in your diet rather than just eating food with protein which could add excess calories and other unwanted garbage.

You want to target protein intake to 1g per 1lb of your body weight for maintenance. 1.5g~2g if you're trying to gain lean muscle mass. It'll help you for quicker recovery and absorption. You'll also want to take it right after a workout. Usually I'll drink them right after a workout or riding my bike. Then I'll have an apple or some other raw form of carb at the same time.

Protein shakes are essential if you're working out, drink them right after (within 30 minutes) any workout for better recovery. Even if you eat real food they say the absorption is much faster and easier on the stomach. Otherwise the body will start to leech off other nutrients and your own muscles before burning off excess carbs and fat.

But don't replace all snacks or meals with protein shakes, you still want protein from other source. I usually have three to four small meals with three to four protein shakes and mixture of snacks throughout the day while keeping the overall caloric intake to around 2,000 for my target body weight.

Thank you for the quick reply.

I have been working out for the past 4-6 weeks, prior to that I pretty much did just walking the kids to school, walking the dogs and playing basketball with them.

I always have been eating healthy.

I usually eat greek joghurt with plain oats and some fruit in in for breakfast.

A salad for lunch (sometimes with tuna and feta cheese) or I eat wraps.

At night I don't eat much, steak, chicken...whatever I cook for the kids, but I only have a super small portions.

At times I go out and eat whatever I want.

I also eat dark chocolate at times, and have a glass of red wine 2-3x week.

And I only drink water, don't like sweet stuff at all. No sodas etc.

All together I am not a person who craves food that much anyhow.

I always have eaten like this though, that is why I wonder if I need to cut back even more, this is what my body is used to.

It is just frustrating that I didn't loose a lbs yet but at least I feel good

This is exactly what my friend told me. I just don't want to add weight with them, but she said the opposite will happen due to the workout. Would just one shake be enough after my daily workout?

I bought designer whey protein shake, says: 18g protein - 2g fat - 100 calories per serving

Yes, whey protein shakes are helpful. I take them myself after my workouts and have noticed the difference. I am not overweight, but want to have that toned look. The shakes are helping a lot. Just don't replace them with your meals and drink them with either water or nofat milk.

If you're eating healthy and working out regularly then either your body had plateau'd and need to throw in extra work at the gym (different exercise, increase intensity, etc) AND/OR you need to cut your calories without starving.

It's tedious but if you haven't I would calorie count to see what your daily intake is like vs. what you should be eating in general for your height/body.

link removed

This is exactly what my friend told me. I just don't want to add weight with them, but she said the opposite will happen due to the workout. Would just one shake be enough after my daily workout?

I bought designer whey protein shake, says: 18g protein - 2g fat - 100 calories per serving

That's not bad actually. One serving should be enough if not serving and a half or two servings. I use link removed that has 25g of protein and 0g fat and 101 calories.

I have been working out 5-6 times a week and changed to a healthy diet about a month ago. My goal is to loose 5-10lbs and just get toned.

I have been on the Elliptical machine or stationary bike for 20-30 min each of those days, and switch up upper and lower body workouts (weights) every other day.

I am a female at 5'6 140lbs, and I didn't loose any weight yet, but I am getting very nicley toned. Well, I understand that muscle weighs more than fat, but when will the lbs come off?

My friend told me I should add whey protein shakes to my diet, that they will help my weight loss while I am building muscle. Is that true? I bought desinger whey protein shake but I worry that I gain more weight once I start using it

Any advice???

I have whey protien shakes but after learning what i know in my nutrition class, I don't take it anymore. Best thing is just to eat a good sandwich up to 3 hours after you work out. You need the CARBS and the PROTIEN... if you have carbs in your diet (small amounts) your body will go after that first, and the protien will help build muscle. You don't want your body to continually be using up the protien you're putting in your body to build the very thing you need/want.

Don't worry about the pounds so much. Record your inches around your bust, hips and waist. Drink plenty of water to keep your muscles hydrated...

They say that your body keeps on working harder after you stop exercising for a few hours so that's why they recommend eating carbs and protien. Just like eating a good sandwich with some veggies on the side.

Me three.

You want to target protein intake to 1g per 1lb of your body weight for maintenance.

That sounds kind of high for maintenance, especially for females. I'm not sure how their bodies react on the uptake, considering their musculature and that they have more body fat, by design.

I'd suggest losing weight/cutting first through clean dieting, cardio, and consistency (have to make it through a six week cycle, minimum), then go on a mass cycle to bulk up [i think women consider this toning up, though] through freeweights and supplementing with whey protein isolate. If you're cutting fat through cardio while concurrently building muscle, there's no way to discern your gains through weight alone (lose one pound of fat, gain 3 pounds of muscle: net gain is two pounds).

I doubt your goal is to get jacked, so I'd propose a cardio cycle and strict calorie diet to drop weight (3500 kcalories = 1 pound, so cut 500 calories a day from your current intake), then a mass cycle with high carbs and protein (and calories...don't worry about it) to "tone up."

Archived