Nervous About Interview

Hey guys,

Ok so a few months ago i applied for volunteer counselling at Childline, for anyone who lives outside of the UK Childline is a charity that protects children from things like child abuse etc. There is a hotline that children can call and they can talk to counsellors about things like bullying, feeling alone even suicidal. Anyway i went to the information meeting and after that i picked up some forms to fill out and they just completed my criminal record check so thats all good so now i have an interview for a place!!. I'm really excited to get the oppurtunity to work for childline i'm not being paid for it cos its volunteering work but its the experience for me. Anyway the interview is 1 hour and 3o mins long and i am sooo nervous. Im no good when im nervous in fact im a nervous wreck, i blush, start to shake can feel muself sweating and i dont like making eye contact. I really dont want that to happen cos im afraid i'll mess it up. Does anyone have any tips that i vould use for this interview and any tips on how to overcome nerves?. Any replies would be good thanks guys

Remember to breathe. Also, remember pausing is ok. When they ask you a question and you feel overwhelmed, stop breathe in and out, and just take a pause before you answer. This will help you to feel less jittery.

Also you dont have to look them in the eye. You only have to make them think you are looking them in the eye. This can be achieved by looking at the space in between their eyebrows, above the nose. Its not total direct eye contact, but it will get the job done until you become more comfortable.

Also keep in mind you are interviewing them as much as they are you. You may think right now this is the ideal thing, but you may get in there and the person is a total tool. Remember, this is your choice as much as theirs. Be strong, be confident in knowing who you are and that you can do an awesome job and you will be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived