Should I be working out every day?

I am really getting confused

Is it OK to work out every day, or is it healthier to give you body a break in between.

I walk every day (kids to and from school, walk the dogs etc.) but I mean weights, and excercise bike, treadmill etc. this kind of workout.

What is just right for our bodies?

but I mean weights, and excercise bike, treadmill etc. this kind of workout. What is just right for our bodies?

For cardio you can do them everyday as long as you're not in some severe pain. For weights, I would give two days rest especially for the larger muscle groups (upper one day, cardio the next day, lower body, upper, etc) Same thing with abs, give it some rest. As long as you're eating well and consuming enough proteins as well as drinking enough water the recovery should be quick.

Every body's different of course, I would listen and gauge how you feel for that day.

I work out every day during the week, and I only started working out about 2 months ago. I pace myself and try not to do the same types of things each day. I also work out with a trainer twice a week so that helps to mix up my workouts.

For example:

Mon - I usually swim or workout on the elliptical for about 15-30 min .

Tues - trainer workout for 1/2 hr.

Wed - swim class for 1/2 hr (but I also swim for a 1/2 hr before or afterwards)

Thurs - trainer workout for 1/2 hr

Fri - swim or take one of the aerobics classes offered at my gym.

Weekends I don't work out.

like others have said lifting definitely needs a rest period but cardio also may need a rest period to avoid injury as well, depending on your level of fitness. If you've been a couch potato for months/years then by all means do NOT go out and try to run 2+ miles daily..

Basically, work with your body to determine what's right for you. The ideal is hitting that sweet spot between exerting yourself so you improve and holding back enough so that you don't suffer any injuries.

Archived