Internet dateing

winchester3

I've recently joined a dating site. Can anyone toss me any tips or easy online dating do's and dont's? I know enough to make sure the person is real before we meet up and not fall for any phony accounts. So far I'm getting about a 50% return for every message i send so that's not too bad right? The worst part about it is having to introduce yourself, over, and over. Most people my age don't seem to really care much for relationships. At least not the ones on dating sites.

Alright so toss me some pointers, advice is appreciated.

Yea, recent and good photo is a must.

Elaborate about yourself. Don't just say "I like movies." Instead describe what you like and interests you have instead of merely stating them.

Initiate a first date early. I generally do it by the 3rd message I send.

If someone isn't showing interest, move on.

Be confident in your communication. For instance, don't write "Could I get your number?" Instead directly ask them for it. Something along the lines of "What is your number?"

Try to avoid negatives. I've seen profiles where guys have ranted on about things they don't like, people they can't stand etc etc.

It doesn't make you look like you 'know what you want', it makes you look bitter and angry. Stick to positive things as much as possible.

Yes! Negativity is a big turn off and you don't want to be associated with that.

In your messages say something personalized. When I did the online dating thing I ignored "Hey what's up" and even "Nice profile. I'd like to get to know you better." Show me that you actually read my profile. I loved it when a guy initiated contact with a response that included something I had said in my profile, and I pretty much always gave those guys a chance.

Try to post at least 2 photos. one should be more than a headshot. I wont bother with someone who just has a headshot as i think they must be hiding what they look like.

I've been on a few dates. Dont invest too much into it. I've had 1st dates that went well, agreed to go out again but never reached 2nd date. It's very fickle and people can suddenly stop responding or get cold feet. My rule of thumb now is to ask them out after 3-4 replies. I can't be bothered with wasting too much time with weeks of detailed responses anymore. if someone is genuinely interested then generally they will reply within a couple of days. Have an open mind and dont have too high expectations and just treat it as an experiment/new experience. anything happens is a bonus.

if you are female expect loads of emails and interest initially. if you are bloke you have to do all the searching. Dont spend to much time emailing them, after a while someone wil get bored.at somepoont someone has to make the first step of arranging a date. dont be afraid to ask someone out. worst that can happen is they dont get back to you

I've got 4 photos and had a few of my girl friends help me spice up my profile. I ask for their email then go for a date after talking to them at least once outside of the site. I haven't been on a date yet. I had one all lined up but i forgot it was dope day and asked her to meet me downtown at the main park. To my surprise there was about 3000 other people there and i couldn't find her lol. About 1/5th of the chick profiles i view the expectation is almost like they want you to jump through flaming hoops on a pogo stick while handcuffed with one leg. Is there like an implication on the first date that the guy should always pay? I think the first one should go dutch because at the least if you very much dislike each other you should at least get a decent meal out of it. Or maybe you talk that over with her beforehand? My brother is friends with this manager of a good restaurant down town and he hooked me up with a fist full of 60$ gift cards so it doesn't really matter to me.

I always pay for the first date since I'm always the one initiating it. It's usually just lunch at some small local place so the bill is

Also, get her number when you set up a date so you can contact each other.

Lucky you with all those gift cards. I don't personally expect the guy to pay on a first date if we met online, but most women I know seem to expect it and take it as a sign of the kind of guy he is. I have even heard women say things emphasizing the perks: "I'll just go get a free dinner," "At the very least I'll get a free meal out of it."

Personally, I feel that whoever asks the other person on a date should be the one prepared to pay. You can ask her and then tell her you want to split the bill, but be aware that some women will view this as cheap behaviour, especially if you only meet for drinks or a light lunch.

It might not be particularly equal, but that's how it is.

Besides, if you get on then she'll pay for her stuff at some point, I just think it comes accross well if you can buy a girl a drink without bickering over who had the more expensive one.

Lucky you with all those gift cards. I don't personally expect the guy to pay on a first date if we met online, but most women I know seem to expect it and take it as a sign of the kind of guy he is. I have even heard women say things emphasizing the perks: "I'll just go get a free dinner," "At the very least I'll get a free meal out of it."

I know some women like that and it bothers me. Personally I always arrange a pre date meeting so this doesn't come up. I know most dates (online or otherwise) will never became a relationship so why waste money on someone you'll never see again.

Archived