Dream & Let Go

I have been dreaming of my ex girlfriend a lot recently. We have been broken up for a little over a year now. I have been fortunate not to have a single dream about her up until this week. I figure I have been too busy to.

The first couple dreams were the usual ex dreams. I would be talking to her on the phone, or sharing an intimate moment. We would be swimming somewhere, or talking about something we both found interesting.

I have dreamed about her for five nights.

In this last dream I was dealing with my friend--who had taken on the personality of my dad, mannerisms and all. While listening to his lecturing, I was handed a phone. Apparently my exes parents called and said it was urgent.

I called back and got her mother on the phone. She said that Carolyn was missing. She asked me to recount all of the facts I could. According to them, she left college, and her apartment, and ran off somewhere. I told them I didn't know what happened, and to check the guy who she left me for. She then said that she had doctor records from up north. She saw a doctor and found out she was pregnant. The last thing they said was, as far as they knew she was off in Nova Scotia.

When I woke up, I realized that the dream may as well be true. I made myself let go for good. She is never coming back. I kept repeating that thought in my mind over and over. She is gone and she is never coming back. The more I think of it the more empty I feel, and I realize that I have been holding on to her for a long time. I have to accept the fact that she is gone now. For all I know, she is off in Nova Scotia.

Yeah, and i think sometimes those dreams are our mind's way of telling us to let go, or somehow releasing them from our lives. I used to have dreams of trying to phone an ex and i couldn't dial the number, or they wouldn't answer, lol.

Your brain is definitely helping you out. Because dreams seem so real, maybe this will help you to let go.

I've also been helped out by my brain. Once I got to the "angry phase" and realized that she wasn't all that great after all, I had a couple of nights of dreams where I had to see her with the person she left me for. I was so mad in my dreams and actually physically attacked her! In the last one though, I broke down crying and just said that I was sorry that I should just want her to be happy and that I shouldn't be reacting this way. Then I left the place where she was. That ended up being a major letting go moment/day for me.

Do you feel like these dreams have helped you to make any kind of progress or change?

Archived