Do very shy people have a hard time letting people know details fo their lives?

shygal2008

I ask bcuz i notice that when someone is very shy they don't want you to know personal things about them, like if they are ill, jobs in jeopardy, having problems at work, etc.

Why is that???

They will maybe tell 1 or 2 close friends but not everyone (say at work) especially if they possibly like or are attracted to the person or think they may not be receptive to them or judge them in some way...i noticed most people NOT SHY do feel comfortable, at least where i work discussing all those things!!!!!

Is that the normal behavior with most shy people? It never occurred to me until recently that this may be the case for many...afraid of what a person will think of them? Trying to put up a front of EVERYTHINGS FINE, I'M FINE..MY LIFE IS GOOD....

Thanks

I don't know, but i don't think it's necessarily about shyness; some people just prefer to keep things more private and share things with a few close ppl. I have a friend that i think values her privacy and she's not a shy person.

I ask bcuz i notice that when someone is very shy they don't want you to know personal things about them, like if they are ill, jobs in jeopardy, having problems at work, etc.

Why is that???

They will maybe tell 1 or 2 close friends but not everyone (say at work) especially if they possibly like or are attracted to the person or think they may not be receptive to them or judge them in some way...i noticed most people NOT SHY do feel comfortable, at least where i work discussing all those things!!!!!

Is that the normal behavior with most shy people? It never occurred to me until recently that this may be the case for many...afraid of what a person will think of them? Trying to put up a front of EVERYTHINGS FINE, I'M FINE..MY LIFE IS GOOD....

Thanks

I'm about half/half when it comes to being shy and extrovered; sort of like a mixture and I'm not very fond of talking about my job or other personal details with people I know nothing about. And if I do, it's very bland and I don't like to go into specifics about it. I just don't like my business being out there. If it's someone I'm interested in getting to know, I don't mind giving in a little, but just as casual conversation, no.

I'm not deathly shy or anything, but i'd say i'm more on the shy side than the outgoing. I don't talk about personal things with people because, well, they're personal. Talking about it isn't going to help anything in most cases, so what's the point of letting other people know? I'm not all that interested in other peoples personal situations, so i assume they're not interested in mine and i don't tell them. That being said, i don't MIND if other people talk about their personal situations with me, but i'll never go out of my way to ask or bring it up.

I am shy, and I do find it fairly difficult letting people know details of my life.

I don't have any specific fears about telling them the details; I sometimes just don't want to.

I do have some weird tendencies as well, which I believe I use to keep people at a distance. Even though I am very honest, I will lie about certain details in my life. For instance, if I have plans on a specific day, I will often tell people I am doing that activity on a different day. I have also found myself telling people I am going to different locations than I am actually going to; and often times it is of a place of the same equivalent (i.e., "I'm going to McDonalds", when I'm actually going to Burger King (I don't like either restaurant, just as an example)).

When I do tell these little lies, they come to me almost automatically, and I feel kind of silly afterwards. I never lie about anything big, or substantial, never faking an incident or a story.

I don't fear letting people in, I just seem to not want to let people in.

I would say it feels more like trepidation, or a mental block, just something that is there, that prevents me from opening up to people completely.

Unfortunately, the side-effect seems to be loneliness, and the rhetorical question of, "Why doesn't anyone seem to really know me?"...

It is something I have always struggled with, and continue to do so.

I'm about half/half when it comes to being shy and extrovered; sort of like a mixture and I'm not very fond of talking about my job or other personal details with people I know nothing about. And if I do, it's very bland and I don't like to go into specifics about it. I just don't like my business being out there. If it's someone I'm interested in getting to know, I don't mind giving in a little, but just as casual conversation, no.

I'm the same way. I only tell my close friends at work certain things

Archived