A forced break-up?

I was seeing a guy that I was crazy about for the past 2 months, but in the last 2 1/2 weeks, he started pulling away from me and putting a lot of distance between us. Here is some background if anyone is interested:

I am so confused and feeling really miserable. We started off really intense and he professed love and even discussed getting married. When I started reciprocating his feelings of love, he started withdrawing. He didn't want to see me anymore, but continued calling me every day - it was almost cruel. I tried asking him why he didn't want to see me, and he wouldn't give me a straight answer.

I know I may never truly know why he pulled away, but I'd like to know what other people think. I'm thinking maybe he deliberately sabotaged things by not wanting to see me, so he would not have to do the "breaking up". So I finally told him that speaking on the phone everyday and barely seeing each other wasn't working for me, and we haven't spoken since.

After 2 months I would have preferred to have this conversation in person, but since he didn't want to see me, I had no choice but to tell him over the phone. Do you think this is what he wanted? Maybe he was too immature or cowardly to simply tell me he didn't want to continue having a relationship? (he is 38 just for reference) Any thoughts?

He sounds like the typical commitement phobe that we all read about on here way too often. All of the signs are there, coming on too strong too fast and then backing away as soon as you show feelings back. And he's 38 too. I cannot believe how common this problem is with men especially!

Why can't these nutjobs where a sign: I'M A COMMITMENT PHOBE WITH ISSUES. Wouldn't that be nice? That would really help and save a lot of pain for the victim. Unfortunately, this is my first experience with one and I am so hurt that I got sucked in and then pushed away just as I had fallen in love. I think this was the closest I had come to being in love and it hurts to be rejected in such a callous manner.

Archived