I raise up my middle finger to Valentine

Tarkan

at least your other half didn't say "we're not doing valentines" - which i checked with her 20+ times - and then proceed to get really angry at me for not getting her a card or anything?

well... i got her flowers a card and some chocolates today and i'm not even joking, it was half the price. V day is a joke

at least your other half didn't say "we're not doing valentines" - which i checked with her 20+ times - and then proceed to get really angry at me for not getting her a card or anything?

well... i got her flowers a card and some chocolates today and i'm not even joking, it was half the price. V day is a joke

aww I'm sorry!! Well it was sweet of you to get it today. But agreed on the half price! I might just have to go buy myself some flowers! tehe

I could really care less. And agree with the OP- should be everyday- I culd definitely handle chocolates daily! Just kidding. The idea of this holiday is ok, in reality its pretty messed up!

Actually, it's not the holiday you should begrudge so much as Hallmark and whatever other corporations that focus on the "spend money on your S.O.".

See, the thing is there actually was once a St. Valentine. He used to visit prisons where people were locked up for following Jesus Christ. He would write little notes for them that said "Jesus loves you" and "You're not alone" and whatever else to encourage them.

So, it's not so much a romantic love that Valentine was spreading, but more of a fraternal, humanistic love. If anything, it's more charitable than romantic.

Personally, I'm an agnostic, and I'd hate it if a born-again Christian barraged me with little "Jesus loves you" notes because I think it's really annoying. But I applaud the showing-care-to-the-less-fortunate thing.

DH and I don't celebrate Valentines. Personally, roses on any other day of the year would mean more. I don't like getting gifts from someone because they thought it was expected of them...but that's us. Luckily, we have always both agreed on this point.

However, my sons participate in exchanging valentines at school/daycare, and we get little token gifts for the teachers & daycare workers. I do this because it's an easy way to teach my kids to show others you appreciate them. They see dad & mom show their appreciation every day, so we don't feel the need to underscore that point.

My son made me get up Sunday morning and sneak downstairs to help him make breakfast in bed for Daddy- because Daddy makes us breakfast every day..That made me happy- because it was his idea. Homemade cards from my kids are all I'll ever need...

I dunno, to each thier own. I do special things (fancy dinner, gifts, etc.)for my SO every couple weeks or so cause you dont want to get them in the routine of being spoiled. I used to take my ex out to dinner atleast 3 times a week and when i started having financial problems, she still expected to go out to dinner and made a fit about it. I promised i wouldnt give repetition to another partner again. I personally love valentines day because although yes i agree you treat your SO special everyday, this day is a day you can go completely wacko with love. If people dont have many, there are plenty of cheap things to do for your partner. Its the thought that counts. Check out this website for cool ideas on love and tips/advice: link removed

I raise up my middle finger to everything I think is stupid, and v-day just happens to be one of many things on that list. It's western consumerism at it's finest -- convince women that affection is shown in what you buy, convince men that a true man buys these things, profit, rinse, and repeat. Sounds pretty special, IMO.

Oh, cmon. That's American tradition there. Creating elaborate manifestations for both genders that promotes separating people from their money.

All advertising boils down to one message "You're too ugly to sleep with, BUT WE CAN HELP."

I serioulsy wonder which holidays aren't commercialized, now that you mention this.

Martin Luther King day, Lincoln's birthday, President's Day (except for the mattress sales), Memorial Day, Labor Day, Kasimir Pulaski Day, Ash Wednesday, Thanksgiving (more or less)...

Valentine's Day is still blown out of proportion, though.

Martin Luther King day, Lincoln's birthday, President's Day (except for the mattress sales), Memorial Day, Labor Day, Kasimir Pulaski Day, Ash Wednesday, Thanksgiving (more or less)...

Valentine's Day is still blown out of proportion, though.

If my memory serves me right, there are, and continue to be, products and services marketed for most of those special occasions. Everything from bobble-heads to chia-pets. Albeit, at a far lesser degree than the major holidays we know very well.

Not too sure about Ash Wednesday or Kasimir Pulaski Day. They're not exactly very well known or celebrated holidays.

If my memory serves me right, there are, and continue to be, products and services marketed for most of those special occasions. Everything from bobble-heads to chia-pets. Albeit, at a far lesser degree than the major holidays we know very well.

Not too sure about Ash Wednesday or Kasimir Pulaski Day. They're not exactly very well known or celebrated holidays.

Well, that's more of a problem with capitalism and commercial fetishism than holidays. Not that I'm a Marxist or anything.

Seriously ... it's not one day/year that you should do something special for your SO ... but every day.

Most people who hate Val Day are single. I was there too so I understand the hatred, but really it's a hallmark holiday so the inclination to thwart it is sensible but it's still really grand for those in love. It goes without saying that we should love our partners everyday regardless of a holiday but ... i dunno. Even when I was as single as an olympic skier living in Hawaii I still didn't' want to give the holiday the finger. lol

Well, that's more of a problem with capitalism and commercial fetishism than holidays. Not that I'm a Marxist or anything.

I didn't say it was a problem at all in fact. Merely pointing out that calling one particular holiday "commercialized" (and I'm not saying you said this) is redundant; most if not all are commercialized in one way or another. The more celebrated it is, the more potential there is to make a buck off of it. That's just the way humans operate.

I didn't say it was a problem at all in fact. Merely pointing out that calling one particular holiday "commercialized" (and I'm not saying you said this) is redundant; most if not all are commercialized in one way or another. The more celebrated it is, the more potential there is to make a buck off of it. That's just the way humans operate.

Yep. It is what it is! LOL

Archived