Some advice from runners please?

ToF

Hey guys! I'd really appreciate advice from any avid runners on here..

I don't have any endurance to speak of at the moment, but I'm really trying to get into shape. I'm thinking running would be great, but I have no idea how to get to the point at which I can just run without stopping.

I feel like this is a dumb thing to ask about--but I know there are techniques! So how do I get started? Get motivated/pumped up? And keep from being soooo wiped out after a few minutes?

Thanks for your time

-TOF

You have to be persistent. Start small. If you want to, start on elliptical/biking. They usually help build some endurance first. When you start running, start at a slow speed and slowly work your way up. Go for as long as you can, and push yourself. I try and increase my speed daily and at the end I increase my mileage about .5 mile per week and reduce the speed. I usually work out like 4 times/wk. Make sure you run with proper technique as you'll be exerting extra energy and tire without using proper technique. Here are some things, but you can find proper technique online...Try not to bounce vertically, you exert more effort fighting gravity. Try to land on the ball of your foot to balance the weight. Don't let your shoulders tense up and let your arms swing freely. If you have any questions, let me know!

Archived