The First Five Minutes -- A man's life depends on it.

MVP

I've heard a lot of discussion about the importance of the first five minutes in an encounter between a man and a woman. The initial impression, evidently, will determine the man's fate and standing in the woman's eyes.

Apparently, in the span of five whole minutes -- which usually consists of conversation/banter, flirting, implicit gestures, and facial expressions -- the woman will decide whether to classify the man in question into three categories: Screw material (without any emotional attachments), potential boyfriend material, and the dreaded, "Friend Zone of Doom."

I was wondering...how should the interaction, usually on the man's part, proceed in order to be classified into the "Screw material" category? Conversely, what has to happen, in the realm of these life-changing minutes, that would give the female the impression that the guy is a "potential boyfriend" or sadly, just merely a "friend?"

Perhaps you guys can map out a few scenarios and show me where they might lead...

Hey MVP,

Thank you. Your post made me laugh and I really needed that.

Women are different. Period. Just like guys. What is right for one is not right for the other. What is funny to one is serious to another. What is cute to one is ugly to another. What is boyfriend material to one is just friend to another. There is no set rules on how you should act to get them to screw you. For heaven's sake, if that's all you want then maybe just being honest would do it for you. It would certainly make you one of a kind.

Sometimes it takes longer than five minutes. Have you ever seen someone who you thought was attractive, but the minute they opened their mouth and said something you were turned off? Or have you talked with someone for an hour before you realized that this person was not what you wanted? I have to both. I've also met someone who was just there (kind of like wallpaper) and halfway through the night changed my opinion about him for the better. And we actually had a short fling.

It's how you act, what you say, how you dress, how intelligent you are, how funny, how honest.

Just be yourself. That way you don't have to play games.

lisaria

The first things I notice about a man are:

- His face, mostly his eyes.

- His hands, how he grooms his nails.

- His shoulders. I simply go NUTS for broad, well-sculpted shoulders.

- His shoes. This may seem anal to some people here, but for me it's just something I note INSTANTLY. If a man is wearing shoes that just don't go with his outfit, for me, it's an instant turnoff.

- His body language. I like it when a guy's movements are smooth, not jittery and nervous. Jittery and nervous = friend material.

I know a guy is only going to be a friend if he's too loud and obnoxious. Guys like that always make funny friends, but rotten boyfriends when it comes down to it.

"Screw, no strings-attached-material" = Usually very good looking but obviously womanizing. Overly flirtatious. Conceited. Too touchy-feely!

Relationship material = A guy who is respectful and doesn't try to push things too fast. Is considerate, friendly and demonstrates good eye-contact and some touching (ie. touching my back before leaving a bar or something).