How to get over massive amounts of pain

blueangel

Some pain you don't get over, you just become numb. After losing my wife, nothing phased me anymore. My grandma died and we were really close and I didn't even bat an eye. The only side of death that stirred up any emotion was when I thought I was going to lose my son. That affected me. Other than that I still am pretty numb to emotional pain.

As far as physical pain, I am one of those unfortunate enough people who have learned the hard way that your body will only allow you to feel so much before it shuts down. I've had a chest tube inserted into my lung wide awake and the only thing I felt was a lot of pressure like someone was crushing me from the inside. Adrenaline is a helluva thing...

I had a better post here but I wanted this to go into a book so I edited to say only one word: Therapy because well I was selfishly proud of what I wrote and wanted to maintain the credibility (which decreases if put onto the internet).

The thing about being numb is this- you're actually in shock and so overwhelmed by MANY emotions that it comes out in the form of being "numb." It doesn't mean you weren't affected if you don't go through pain the same way as others do.

That is interesting about physical pain.

I'm sorry about your losses and your struggles. Know that you didn't deserve them at all and that it was unfair it happened and also not your fault. As long as you know these three things, the cycle of pain you will move through will be much more realistic as many do not go through realistic perceptions when they are overwhelmed. And that's okay. That's human. The key is to recognize these behaviors and learn what is in your control and what isn't.

I've decided to take what has happened to me in life and put it in a book. And though I've suffered for years from things, this is my first real attempt at DEALING with my emotions not just FEELING as I had been. I hadn't known the difference until now.

Best of luck to you.

Some pain you don't get over, you just become numb. After losing my wife, nothing phased me anymore. My grandma died and we were really close and I didn't even bat an eye. The only side of death that stirred up any emotion was when I thought I was going to lose my son. That affected me. Other than that I still am pretty numb to emotional pain.

As far as physical pain, I am one of those unfortunate enough people who have learned the hard way that your body will only allow you to feel so much before it shuts down. I've had a chest tube inserted into my lung wide awake and the only thing I felt was a lot of pressure like someone was crushing me from the inside. Adrenaline is a helluva thing...

Archived