What a mess...

_Express_

So I'm in a little bit of a sticky situation but I only have myself to blame.

Currently I have two jobs. One full time and one part time. I have been at the part time job for over 2 years, but I have only been at the full time one for 5 months now, but it is going very well there. I've never called out, I'm there early, I stay late if they need me to, they are always saying how lucky they are to have me,etc.... Despite all this, I still feel like it's only a matter of time before I get fired.

Here's why....

About 2 years ago, I worked at an office for only 4 weeks. I left (I didn't get fired, however I resigned by leaving a resignation letter on my boss's desk...I know, not the most mature thing to do, but it was a very toxic environment. Looking back I should have just given the 2 weeks notice, and I regret that now.) This was at a doctor's office, and I am currently working at a doctor's office now at my full-time job. Although the jobs were in the same field, the positions were not related to each other

Well, come to find out....my old boss and my new boss are friends and have a close personal relationship together. My new boss obviously does not know that I worked for this other doctor. I did not put it on my resume, because I didn't really think much of it, I was only there for 4 weeks..

But here comes the tricky part; I was given an application to fill out AFTER I was hired, and honestly I didn't even think to put down the short-term job...it didn't even cross my mind because there is no gap in my employment (because of my part time job that I've had)....Now I'm reading all this stuff on-line that you have to put every job you've had on your application, or you could be terminated...Is that true?

I am really freaking over this, because I love my job. I know that this is my fault and I should have been up-front about it in the beginning, but I still feel horrible ... I know it sounds stupid, but I even thought about giving my 2 weeks notice before my boss finds out I worked there and get fired

Sorry this was so long...just looking for some advice.

Your boss may not think this is the same big deal that you believe it is, especially given that he and his office staff are happy with you.

The ex boss may hardly even remember you. It isn't likely that if they cross paths on the golf course, a list of all their employees will come up. But even if an exchange might ever pass between them about you, your current boss isn't likely to impulsively upset his own office based on someone else's experience unless he's already got a complaint a complaint with you.

In other words, the longer you remain there proving yourself, the more you build your value to the new boss. How long have you been at the new job?

To end your own turmoil, you might feel out whether he or his HR person might be the best person to discuss this with. I'd wait until you've delivered something solid and they're thrilled with you, then ask to schedule a 5 minute meeting, and tell him or her that you held a job for a few weeks that was temporary, and you didn't list it on your application--ask if this is a problem.

You don't need to volunteer anything more than this unless they press you, and then if they say its not necessary, you're clear.

I wouldn't worry about it. The last job I applied for said on the application, "You must list any jobs you worked for more than a month" which seemed to imply it was completely fine to not list jobs of shorter terms. And I think that's fairly standard... there's no reason to list jobs you've had for a few weeks.

As for notice, giving two-weeks notice is for jobs you've been at for a notable amount of time, say 3 months or more. Giving a notice for a duration half as long as you've been employed at a place is moderately ridiculous. The whole point of notice is that it assumes you've become a key player in a company and that it would be a major inconvenience to them if you left immediately. But if you've been at a job 4 weeks, chances are that your leaving is little to no inconvenience (at least, that's how it should be if they are well-managed).

There may be an unsaid suggestiveness in corporate culture that companies are owed notice, but keep in mind, many companies drop their employees without any notice. It's a hypocritical one-sided loyalty that is being suggested. So I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about pulling my boss aside tomorrow and telling him that I worked there, but my friend said that was a bad idea because it will make it seem like I'm making a huge deal out of this, and that I should just wait it out and if it does ever come up, then deal with it then. Does anyone else think talking to my boss about it is a bad idea?

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about pulling my boss aside tomorrow and telling him that I worked there, but my friend said that was a bad idea because it will make it seem like I'm making a huge deal out of this, and that I should just wait it out and if it does ever come up, then deal with it then. Does anyone else think talking to my boss about it is a bad idea?

I agree with your friend. To your boss, this is a clerical issue, and in his big scheme of things, probably matters almost insultingly less than you believe.

We're talking about a 4 week temp job that didn't work out. It's NOT a big deal.

Stop picking that thing.

Archived