Major in college

I don't know what to do honestly.

Right now I am majoring in German, I finished my minor in music, and I'm working towards a minor in Art History. Next year I'm going to work as an Art History intern in Germany (hopefully) before I graduated in 2012. I have plans to go to graduate school, but before that I would like to work as a tour manager to save money and to travel (I won't have many student loans, and I'm looking for excellent graduate programs with tuition waivers + stipends).

I know that there are options out there, but I'm just not sure what to do. I don't know if I want to get an MA in German, in Art History, or in both. I've heard that museum jobs are competitive and don't pay very well, but I thought that was something I would like to do. I can also see myself working as a professor one day. Then I go back to thinking of doing something with my (future) German degree.

I don't know, I just was hoping that someone could give me some advice here, maybe some facts and ways to build up a resume. Maybe even some new career suggestions. Anything will be appreciated.

I would say research what the job market looks like for German and Art History Majors. I know that there are barely any careers out there for Art History and, like you said, museum jobs are competitive. Unless you know someone from inside, you can win a job at a museum.

Keep in mind of this: how much will you be making with a degree in any of those fields after you graduate? Is it worth spending the couple extra thousand dollars on a Master's that many would see as "worthless?" I really don't mean to be so harsh, but I cannot stress enough that people should avoid Humanity related degrees because they do not get jobs at the moment. I've been out of school for 2 years with an English Teaching degree and haven't landed a teaching job yet. I have friends who have art and psychology degrees... with no careers!

The economy is rough on college graduates. Have you looked into volunteering or doing internship at a museum? That's the only option you got at getting a job with a museum.

Thanks for the response.

I really do want to continue my education by getting one, maybe two, master degrees. I just don't know WHAT I want to do yet. I might be repeating myself, but I do really want to be a tour manager (travel the world, make decent money, get expenses paid) for a couple of years after undergrad school, and I'm not going to have any loans for undergrad school (besides $2,000 at the MOST). I also will only go to graduate school if they will pay tuition + stipend (which most do for German graduate students, very nice). I just don't know if I want to only study German... I don't know if I want to only teach... Like you said, I know that jobs are hard to come by right now, but I'm not going to go to business or nursing school and hate life either. I have a love for art history, and I would like to possibly pursue that as well. I'm going to graduate with a very broad undergrad degree and I'm just trying to slim down my possibilities.

I am planning on having an 8 month art history internship in Germany next year (also to refine my German skills since they're not the best yet), and maybe even something this summer. I should probably talk to some art history advisers and start calling some people in the field. Still, I appreciate your input, and if anyone has any other suggestions or ideas to share, that would be wonderful!

Well because I know that the types of jobs I want to have (even if I can't decide yet) will require graduate level degrees, i.e., museum work, working as a professor. Also, I am a nerd and I really like going to school and I find it be to be an enriching place. As for money, I will graduate from undergraduate school with almost no loans, work for a couple of years to save up, and go to graduate school for free (many German programs offer a full ride plus $13,000/yr. stipend, you just have to teach beginning level classes). So really, it's not a financial bust for me at all. I just don't know WHAT specifically I want to do. I mean, I have an idea in my head sometimes, but then I always change it and realize how competitive that job may be. I've thought about working in an art auction house and I think that would be a lot of fun. Sometimes I really think I would like being a professor with all the breaks in between left over for travel. I do love to travel, will speak German, and also wouldn't mind a job in the travel industry (and if I don't land a great job, there's always the tourist industry). You see? This is what I go through all the time because I just can't settle on a straight shot.

Archived