I'm thinking of moving out of my current apartment

grymoire

This thread is related to this:

I am trying to save money and think that one of the best ways would be to move out of my current apartment. I live in the Silicon Valley and am currently paying a lot for my apartment. Also the management is NOT helpful at all. I have been asking them to fix my heater unit for the whole of 2009 and they have still not fixed it yet. I am not sure if there is a way to complain about them.

In any case, I went around looking for other apartments in the area and I figured out that on an average if I decide to move I will be saving $300 per month. I feel that is a lot of money.. I can use it to invest in stocks, or pay off my debts, or simply put it in savings. The other apartments are not as beautiful as the current one but I get to save some money and don't have to deal with the management that does not want to help its tenants.

What do you guys think?

Does the new place you want to live at, have comparable amenities to your old place? If not, is it something tolerable.

Also, is it close to your job? Finding a place that is cheaper but further away could also be detrimental to your wallet (spending more on gas and wear and tear on your car).

Thanks Ren.

Yes, the apartment that I checked out today is practically the same like the current one in terms of area. But it is not close to downtown and is not as beautiful as the current place I live in. My current apartment is walking distance from the city's famous downtown area and hence very expensive. But I thought I can always drive down to the downtown area whenever I want to.

Do you go downtown a lot and utilize the entertainment down there? If so, then maybe moving away from where you are used to hanging out, could be detrimental to your social life.

If you don't mind living away from downtown (the center of things), moving might be the best thing since you will still be able to go downtown and save money with rent.

In choosing a living place, I also look at proximity to workplace. I try to find a living place that is not too far from work.

Do you go downtown a lot and utilize the entertainment down there? If so, then maybe moving away from where you are used to hanging out, could be detrimental to your social life.

If you don't mind living away from downtown (the center of things), moving might be the best thing since you will still be able to go downtown and save money with rent.

In choosing a living place, I also look at proximity to workplace. I try to find a living place that is not too far from work.

I used to go to downtown often but have been thinking lately that that should not be the sole reason for me to be in a place where I am paying $300 more every month. I do not think its worth it any more.

Yes, I considered the driving distance to work and it is just like 5 to 7 minutes more driving time should I decide to move to the new place.

If that's the case, then making to move to a cheaper apartment is probably the right choice.

Yea.. thanks.

Are there any services that I can use to move my stuff to the new place? I have a huge bed, sofa, and book shelf. There is no way I can U-Haul it by myself.

Also I have so much old clothes that I do not wear any more.. and tons of magazines that I have already read. what do I do with all these?

Yea.. thanks.

Are there any services that I can use to move my stuff to the new place? I have a huge bed, sofa, and book shelf. There is no way I can U-Haul it by myself.

Also I have so much old clothes that I do not wear any more.. and tons of magazines that I have already read. what do I do with all these?

There are some smaller moving companies that you can look into for local moves. You would have to look online for this.

As for old clothes, you can donate them to your nearest Goodwill dropoff area. Or you can take them to places that sell recycled clothing and make some money off it.

Old magazines, you can recycle them or donate to a library?

If you do decide to stay in your current apt., you can apply pressure to have your management company fix your heater. This happened to a friend of mine here in Southern California. Her heater was broken and the management company was refusing to make the repairs, because it would be expensive and we don't use heat that much down here. She went to the local rent control board and they gave her a form to apply for a decrease in rent. Then the management company has two choices- fix the heater or accept a decrease in rent (that decrease is decided by the rent control board).

In her case, after the management company received the papers from the rent control board, they immediately fixed the heater.

Yea.. thanks.

Actually go to the Uhaul site and go through the options, they have listings of 'helpers' for moving. You rent the truck then hire them to move the stuff. Rates seem okay. Mags you could donate to a local charity or hospice, same with clothes.

Oh, do you socialize downtown now? That can be a consideration to moving. Driving to do that versus walking.

hey guys, just wanted to let you know that i have found and finalized an apartment in the same city i currently live in. it is almost the same size as my current apartment and not too far from work. the only thing is it is not as beautiful and not closer to downtown any more. but i get to save $300 every month. yayyy!

hey guys, just wanted to let you know that i have found and finalized an apartment in the same city i currently live in. it is almost the same size as my current apartment and not too far from work. the only thing is it is not as beautiful and not closer to downtown any more. but i get to save $300 every month. yayyy!

Congrats on getting a new place.

Whatcha gonna do with the money you save?

Archived