Working full time studying part time

Lucy__lou

I'm about to add part time study to my full time 9-5 workload, and I'm interested in hearing about any techniques in time management/energy level management that has helped other people get through this challenge.

As someone who is usually tired by the time I get home (which is usually around 6:30 pm, studying in the evenings is very challenging for me.

Suggestions on how to be productive without wearing myself into a shell would be greatly appreciated.

I do work full-time and school full-time so I understand your concerns. For me, if I'm at home, I'm automatically tired. Being at home is like my body's signal to relax and get sleepy. So if I have studying to do, I go to the bookstore or a coffee shop and get my studying done there.

Also, get a head start on class. If you have your book already, read the first couple of chapters on your own before class starts. That way you'll always be ahead and you won't feel so rushed.

I found that stacking Saturday classes increased my retention. I was fresh and alert instead of fading and barely-there. Good news is, even when my night schedule was tough, I adjusted to it because I was determined. You just might surprise yourself, so stay open minded about that and thrive on pride in your private accomplishments. Go to bed as early as possible, even when you're wound up--you'll thank yourself in the morning.

In your corner.

Hi there,

I work full time 8-5 lecturing (plus the extra workload that comes with that, all the prep and marking which does not get included in the actual working hours).

I then study part time on a monday night 5-9.

I also take my students to race on some saturdays from 6am until about 8 at night.

My fiance works at a school full time, and is training to be a teaching assistant so studies on a wednesday night and because he is only on a training wage, he also works a bar job on a tuesday and sat night.

My advice to you - prioritise and have excellent time management - but at some stage make sure YOU TAKE SOME TIME OFF AND JUST REST.

There will always be something to do but you need to turn off otherwise you will burn out. Me and fiance did this last Xmas and were so so poorly. We learnt our lesson. You have to work in life to get ahead but its also remembering that at some point you must also have a life - its just when you are so busy with work and studyding you also need to know that this must come second to lot of other stuff!!

Good luck!

I'm about to add part time study to my full time 9-5 workload, and I'm interested in hearing about any techniques in time management/energy level management that has helped other people get through this challenge.

As someone who is usually tired by the time I get home (which is usually around 6:30 pm, studying in the evenings is very challenging for me.

Suggestions on how to be productive without wearing myself into a shell would be greatly appreciated.

- cut down on free time/hanging out with friends

- spend at least two hours a night studying and looking over course notes

- even take some course notes to read at lunchtime/breaks at work

It may seem punitive, but in life there are sacrifices and everything in life has a cost. In the long-run, it is worth it though, since free time can be had in the future, when you gain a promotion and get a big-shot job from studying now.

Working full time and studying part time is very tough and true test to time management skills. The best advice i can tell you is to figure out how to make the best use of your time given your energy levels during the week and competing priorities. I read my textbooks and take notes during the week and leave the actual homework for the weekend when im fully refreshed from a good night's rest and not tired from a 9-5 shift. This might not work for everyone (depends on what other responsiblities you got going on as well), but it works for me. It works out pretty good when you are still single (not married or live in gf). I agree that bluntly..this is a big sacrifice as school needs to be given a high priority if you want to make it through successfully (just getting your degree doesn't cut it...you have to have the good grades and internships/co-ops...and even go the extra mile to position yourself for success). It will pay off in the end. There is no free lunch.

• 1 month later...

Having a weekly schedule down to the hour has really helped me so far (I went so far as to create a color-coded block schedule to visualize my time-way over board but it works). It cuts out a LOT of clutter and you begin to focus on the main responsibilities. I work 40 hours a week and take two classes during the middle of the day (only times available but required for degree). I was getting stressed out in the beginning but after some adjustments, planning, and eating/drinking enough of the right foods I am doing a lot better. I even found time to make use of the school gym since I have a break in between the classes. This has helped tremendously in ridding myself of stress. Of course, when I get home in the evening, little after 6 PM, I take a long nap to recharge for the rest of the night that is used to for studying (7:30 - 11/12). My weekend time is sacrificed to some degree, but that is some thing I am willing to give up to get what I want in a few years,... a degree. The main thing for me was to plan, prioritize, and balance. Find some thing that will balance out your stress and stick with it! Me, it is exercise (weight-lifting, running, swimming, biking, etc.) If I don't do some thing several times a week I will get cranky and moody. See previous posts...plan out your time and stick with it. I wish you the best of support!

Archived