Job interview tomorrow and I'm so nervous!

I have a lot of people supporting me, and a lot of bosses at work have told me that they think I am the best candidate for the job, but the pressure to get this job has hit me hard.

I have had three weeks to prepare but all I see to have done is dread it! I have got myself into a big ball of worry and nothing seems to be sinking in. My mind has gone blank. :sad:

Last night I was in tears because I couldn't remember anything. I just feel so dejected and negative. I HATE the job I'm in now, and this new job would be perfect for me. The interview is 30 minutes long and is called a "structured interview", which is basically a panel of three people asking you questions.

The questions aren't really focused about what I can do, its more about what I would do in certain situations. I have had a few mock interviews but my mind just goes blank.

I can't seem to calm down or concentrate. In my heart and in my head, I KNOW I am the best person for the job, but my confidence is shattered at the moment!

Just remember this..a good job interviewer will see beyond the "performance" and look to the personality and what you have already accomplished. Many people are very good at "acting" and thinking on their feet so they can excel at these "what would you do if..." kind of interviews. That doesn't necessarily mean they will be good for the job. Many people are talkers but not doers, so while they might wow the "judges" with great answers to "what would you do if"..they may not be people who would actually do anything when the situation arose. That is why the interview needs to look beyond the fluff of the interviewees answers and evaluate who the person actually is...body language, skill set etc. If they are good interviewers they will look beyond your answers to their questions. Just relax and be yourself..do not stress too much because you want to show yourself to be as relaxed as possible under duress.

The thing is, they HAVE to judge on the answers. I have worked in the personnel strand of this organization, and so many times I have heard interviews say it was such a shame so and so didn't get the job because they were probably the best candidate.

A structured interview involves the candidate getting marks for the following skills:

Communication

Teamwork

Organizational skills

Knowledge

Personal capabilities

Relationships

You are marked out of 7 for each category and its the person with the highest score who gets the job. Everything else counts for nothing. Its what say and what you can evidence what counts. Its really crappy the way that its done, but there's nothing I can do to change it. Its more like an oral exam than an interview.

I know I can do it, I know what types of answers they're looking for, but the adrenalin is rushing around my body and the nerves have really started to kick in. My mind keeps going blank and when I finally do remember, I can't string a sentence together.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get into "the zone" and just get through it without the nerves getting in the way?

You may know all of this already but 1) simply remind yourself that you already know everything about what they're going to ask -- i.e. there's nothing that they can ask, you wont be able to answer, and for those questions you hadnt thought of or prepared in advance, you are knowledgeable enough to "wing" it and offer a passable answer, 2) review your cv/resume and think about what job experience fits where -- i.e. if they ask for specific examples, what job experience you can turn to for a relevant example, 3) instead of memorizing a canned response (which interviewers dont like anyways), make a skeletal outline of your answer and review/memorize that instead, and finally 4) if you are allowed to take in pen/paper, jot down key words/experiences you need to include in your answer.

Ultimately, confidence, as cheesy and cliched as it may sound, is key and is the best way to avoid the whole "deer in headlight" reaction. The most important thing, in my personal experience, is not to try and convince the interviewers (although that's also important) BUT to convince "yourself" that you ARE confident and that you really DO know the answers to these questions. If you can convince yourself of this, everything tends to fall into place (at least, that was the case for me).

Good luck!

[Edited to add: I dont know how your body reacts to caffeine BUT even though, I need and crave caffeine -- it certain gives me a little pick-me-up every morning, I tried to avoid drinking coffee right before the interview and drank cold water instead. Dont forget to go to the bathroom before you do the interview, though: nothing messes up an interview faster than a full bladder! Try and make eye contact with all the interviewers as you recite your answer. And dont forget to smile pleasantly! Try to "look" relaxed! And right BEFORE the interview, dont scramble to read over your notes, but try to calm down and distract yourself with something else, if necessary.]

[Edited to add: I dont know how your body reacts to caffeine BUT even though, I need and crave caffeine -- it certain gives me a little pick-me-up every morning, I tried to avoid drinking coffee right before the interview and drank cold water instead. Dont forget to go to the bathroom before you do the interview, though: nothing messes up an interview faster than a full bladder! Try and make eye contact with all the interviewers as you recite your answer. And dont forget to smile pleasantly! Try to "look" relaxed! And right BEFORE the interview, dont scramble to read over your notes, but try to calm down and distract yourself with something else, if necessary.]

I'm getting a head massage and my hair styled tomorrow before the interview to try and calm my down. I am just about to sit in my favorite chair with some classical music on and just read over everything for the rest of the evening. I should stop thinking about the questions like you say, and just concentrate on forming sentences. For example in my head I can say this: "I consider the main function of the post to be assisting the department in overall budget monitoring. Producing information to the team leader, accountancy and managers, for management actions regarding commitments, forecasting and expenditure."

What comes out is, "Duuuuuuuuuuh?!"

Have you practiced saying things out loud in front of a mirror? No joke but it helps!

Yeah, I've even had my mum ask me questions and had a mock interview, (which was awful but it was my first try).

I tend to read my notes in my head then try and read them out loud. The thing is I can write all my answers down without blinking, its just actually saying them out loud that's the problem.

Since the interview is near, how about skipping the part where you read the notes in your head and move straight to the part where you practice saying them out loud without the script? You've got it all memorized, I promise you. So ditch your notes

The mirror is optional; although I felt pretty stupid, staring into the mirror and talking to myself, I liked using it bc it allowed me to check my expressions, reminded me to make eye contact, etc.

I am sure you'll do fine. There is such a thing as overpreparing so relax and good luck!!!

What i always tell myself before interviews is that if i am really right for the job, i will get it, and if i'm not the best candidate for the job, then i shouldn't get it! That helps put it in perspective and take a bit of the pressure off.

I really take the attitude as if i've only got a 50/50 chance, so what the heck, just do my best. And try to think of the interviewers not as 'power figures' but as people who are really trying to figure out who is best for the job, whether that is you or someone else. So they aren't out to get you or trip you up.

I also find it is really helpful if you admit up front that you really want this job, and interviews make you a bit nervous. Perhaps crack a little joke about that to loosen everyone up. Frequently if you get that out in the open, you will immediately calm down. Most interviewers know how stressful interviews are, and will try to put you at ease.

I once literally fell out of a chair during an interview... I crossed my legs, and it was an old chair, and it just went over sideways and dumped me onto the floor. I was mortified of course, but i got up and said, 'well, that ought to make a memorable impression on everyone,' and they all laughed and it eased the tension. And i got the job offer!

And I recently got a job where the skies opened up right as i was walking from my car to the building, and i did not have an umbrella. I was drenched like a drowned rat, but told the interviewer, 'Great day for an interview... bad day for the umbrella' He laughed, and I got that job in spite of dripping hair throughout the interview.

And don't try to think in a linear fashion, trying to say the proper buzz words etc. If you start out and ramble for a minute before you get your feet under you, then you still have time to say what you need to say. Look at each question and the first thing you ask yourself is, how would i solve that problem, or how have i solved it in the past. Don't try to impress them, try to communicate and bond with them.

If you are really panicked, you can ask the interviewer to rephrase the question or explain what they are looking for more.

Don't be afraid to say, let me think for a bit if you panic.

Well all the nerves went once I got in there

The first panel member was great, asked me the questions I hoped for and I think I did a crackin job on that.

The second panel member was the team leader of the post I'm applying for. He was horrible! Tried to trip me up at every turn, and really pressed me. He only really asked me one question and I could tell he was enjoying being appointed the "mean one"!

The third panel member was great, she really put me at ease and I answered a lot of her questions with examples of work that I had already done.

When I was asked if I would like to clarify anything I just said that I have worked in a very complex environment and that I knew I could apply my skills learnt there to this department and make a positive impact on the team as a whole.

Was only supposed to last 30 minutes and it went on for nearly 40!

When I left the interview my friend told me that myself and this other, girl who already works in the unit, were the front runners.

You never know how you fair in these types of interviews so I can't tell you how I feel. All I know is that this was my first structured interview and I did my best. I won't find out til next week because there is still one other candidate to interview who is currently on holiday.

thanks for all your best wishes xxx

Well done Stella, il be keeping my fingers crossed for you! let us know either way, wont you xxxx

I will - thanks hun

I spoke to one of the interviewers today. He called me about a form I'd filled out, (exit questionnaire question said yes instead of no), told him that I was a bit nervous and that's why.

I told him he was horrible to me in the interview, (in a jokey way), and he started laughing. Told me that he was forced to be, and he didn't mean it - I don't believe him!

Well, I never got the job, and I was a bit gutted this morning, but I'm ok now.

There is a twist.... There were two girls working for the department at the time who went for the job. The one who was currently acting in the role that was vacant DIDN'T get the job!!! The other one did! Looks like they wanted rid of one girl and replace her with another - very sneaky!

Spoke to a friend of mine down there today. She said the girl who hadn't got it, (and essentially got demoted), was absolutely devastated. My mate said I had a lucky escape, its total drama and it won't improve!

Anyway, it looks like I've been head hunted by the resource dept in my own station. They are looking to have me moved to their office, which means promotion, but I dunno how far they'll get posting me there! But, its nice to be appreciated LOL!

I'm honestly ok not getting the job. It only worked out £1k more a year, now thats not worth crying over.

As they say, you may have dodged a bullet!!

I had a contract expire on a job I'd worked for as a consultant for several years, and i was really upset to be without work.

But I started looking for a new job, and found and got hired for a new job that pays more and is a higher level at a great company with great benefits and I'm really happy there.

If I stayed on at that other job, I'd never have been looking and found this much better opportunity somewhere else.

So sometimes something that looks like a loss, turns out to be a good thing if you end up with an even better job later. So that could well happen with you too!

Archived