I'm interested in this shy girl who's almost too beautiful..

A4B4

I apologize for the lengthiness of this post, especially as my first post here at eNotAlone, but I have a logical, over-analytical mind, and brevity is not my forte. I've tried to word it as elegantly as possible to keep your attention. It shouldn't take you even 10 minutes to read this, and your responses will help me unfathomably.

There's this girl I like that I think may be interested in me, but we haven't ever really talked or anything. I know about her because she's in my German class and we share several teachers, just in different classes. A vast majority of the school knows who I am, not because I'm popular, but because I'm so dedicated, ambitious and "smart." (And also, allegedly, intimidating to approach, as a result.) I'm in charge of two school clubs that I've started this year, and spend time after school tutoring, drafting, or programming for our school's robotics team. In fact, it was through my Chemistry teacher, regarding robotics, when I first really learned about her.

She is one of these truly gorgeous girls around campus that every guy who knows her likes. She is very shy, though, and seems not to like the attention her beauty attracts. In my German class, she always shows up to class right before it begins and leaves the moment it ends, as I've deducted, to avoid confrontation with guys. Earlier in the year she didn't do this, and sure enough, every day a different guy would be talking to her. She had that bored look, and would leave ASAP, though she wouldn't ever come accross as rude. I also know that she wasn't just taking off to be with another guy, since I'm at school working every day until 5:00 and I noticed she would go to either the Library or Drama room, as she has been rehearsing for a performance nearly this whole year. Nowadays, she still leaves early, for sure enough, any time she doesn't, some guy is trying to flirt with her.

I, in fact, have approached her twice, though when I approached her, at least from my perspective, the situation appeared different than when others approached her. First off, I didn't tell her how beautiful she was, or that I liked her earrings or sunglasses, like every other guy has done. I, in fact, approached her about robotics, since my Chemistry teacher had told me that she was interested in robotics. (To this day I still don't know why my teacher told me that… it was totally out of the blue, but I'm ever so glad she did.) I'll admit, when I first approached her, she didn't seem too interested until I mentioned that I had heard she was interested in robotics. She almost imperceptibly perked up and began adjusting her hair.

We talked a little bit, and she openly volunteered quite a bit about herself, like she was really interested in robotics, but the rehearsals for her performance (every day after school) conflicted. I mentioned that I was the treasurer for the robotics club, and we talked a little regarding how robotics would turn out this year, but then the teacher made us sit back down in our seats. It would be well over a month before I talked to her again, though we seemed to run into each other a lot more after that.

Wednesdays and Fridays, she has her math class right after mine, and, after that conversation, she started showing up to class early. I, being quite shy, would glance at her though the corner of my eye, though didn't want to approach her, especially because my math teacher has had a grudge against me the entire year and surely is looking for any chance given to ruin me. (Honestly, you don't want me to get started here… this has been a serious issue that has reached the department heads and counselors.) Somewhat often I would catch her looking at me through the corner of her eyes too. (She constantly wears sunglasses, so it can be hard to tell. I must add, though, that she has the biggest, most beautiful eyes I've ever seen.)

That never amounted to much, but on Fridays, I would always be in my Chemistry classroom during lunch hosting one of my club's meetings. One day, out of the blue, she showed up early to ask the teacher some questions, and the two of us met at the door. This was a truly neat experience, as we both opened the door and saw each other… both blushed, both glanced down at the ground, and then both looked up only to catch each other's eyes once more, blush, chuckle, and look back down, before finally proceeding on our way. Since then, she has come into class early more often.

Since then, we've also discovered where each other eats lunch, though we haven't done anything with that information. One day she was walking around the campus with her friend, when she came accross where my friends and I eat lunch. I can't blame her for not stopping… some of my friends look pretty rugged, and there's no one else who eats lunch around us. Regardless, she seemed to notice me from afar, and then sort of looped around, changing her trajectory to pass directly in front of me. Right when she walked afore me, she started talking louder and playing with her hair as she was walking, complaining about it, yet flipping it about flirtatiously. She stopped as soon as she was no longer "near" me.

Also since then, we have seen each other several times in the Library, as lately I've been tutoring a friend Wednesdays. Since the first day we saw each other there (I'm assuming she saw me too), it's become almost routine to see each other there on Wednesdays, as well as the other times I've previously listed. When I say we see each other, though, I'm meaning we don't actually talk, but just glance at one another, smile when we actually catch the other looking, and leave about the same time.

I tried approaching her once since then, and I asked her about her performance and how it was going. Again she seemed more energetic as soon as I approached her, though also quite nervous. Her eyes were, like usual, really big and really beautiful, as she turned around to face me. She talked about how she was staying every day after school until seven for rehearsals, leaving her not much time for homework. But, as usual, I got really nervous and locked up, not thinking of a word to say other than acknowledging that I was listening. Fortunately, though, she seemed just as shy, very empathetic, and quite nervous herself.

As soon as I got her talking, though, others immediately jumped into our conversation, seizing the opportunity to talk to her and leaving me out. For the rest of that conversation, her answers seemed to consist of yeses or nos. Regardless, I didn't get another word into that conversation. As all the others intercepting our conversation literally pushed me back, our teacher told us to sit down until the bell rang. I did as instructed, and when I sat down, she was looking over at me with a compassionate, sympathetic look. Like usual, as soon as the bell rang, she departed.

Lastly, as we still see each other every day of the week now (Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays during class, and Wednesdays and Fridays as outlined above), though we never actually talk, but just shyly look back and forth at one another, it appears, she seems to have changed her "style" to be more similar to mine. As I said earlier, I'm not the typical high school student; in fact, I'm the only person like me. I have no need to try to fit in because everyone has already accepted me for who I am. I specifically wear jeans, a T-shirt, and have a pretty unique habit of entering a room, taking a last gulp from my water bottle, before uniquely setting it down and standing beside my desk until the bell rings. Well, lately she's been doing the same. She's stopped wearing skirts and dresses to wear jeans, despite the fact its spring now, and most others are no longer wearing jeans now; she's wearing T-shirts now in lieu of the semi-revealing "popular" attire (she has always dressed moderately and conservatively, however, unlike most girls nowadays); and she also now sits down in the same manner as I, carrying a water bottle around with her, and all.

Everyone always talks about what to do once you actually know a girl, though I don't really know her, other than her name and that she's smart, shy, and interested in Drama and Robotics (which is rare). Maybe it would be better described as she hardly knows me, or better yet, we hardly know one another. I'm definitely interested in her, and she appears to be interested in me, but to make a first move would be seemingly impossible, especially since she's a junior and I'm only a sophomore. It seems as if she provides plenty of opportunity to at least converse, though I'm at a total loss for words when around her, though fortunately and unfortunately she seems to be as well. I don't want to make a fool of myself, though most importantly, I don't want to scare her away like ever other guy. Furthermore, I'm not sure if I'm ready for a relationship yet, though surely I'd love to know her better and develop a strong friendship that may or may not in the future evolve into more. I'm afraid, though, if I don't make a move soon, she'll lose interest, if she was ever interested in the first place. Yet behind those dark sunglasses, I inevitably see that sparkle in her eye every time our paths cross.

Thank you all in advance, or at least for hearing me through!

Okay so why don't you start off small. You get through at 5pm and she gets through at 7pm. Why don't you ask her if you can go to her rehersals to watch when you get through with what you have to do? Then talk to her after that when hardly anyone is around. Just small conversation, and then if you want to later ask her on a date or whatever. It seems harmless to do. Also ask her to go see her show when the day comes for it to show. Surely she is not rehearsing for nothing. She shouldn't be to shy if she is in drama. Maybe she just doesn't like attention from guys that approach her like drooling dogs if you know what I mean. You don't seem to do that to her so she admires you for that and talks to you more than other guys. Stop being so nervous about it. I understand how you feel, but you don't want to miss the opportunity with her, and then wonder the rest of your life "What If." Hope I helped.

OH Yeah! Welcome to enotalone.

Ok, I've only read about 1/3 of your post and already want to say "YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!" but let me continue reading....

Ok, to start, these drooling guys I am SURE are jealous of you, so don't let your confidence be down. She is interested in you, if not romantically (yet) at least intellectually, which is a good start to romantically, so give it time. But, time will not make it happen alone, you will have to (as said by other posters) make some attempt to do something with her. I agree with the idea to go watch her perform.

Perhaps introduce movies into your conversation, ones you haven't seen. Inevitably, ones in the theater will come up and she is bound to say one she wants to see. If you feel right about it, ask he to go with you, if not ask her anyway but with some other friends as well so it is not to intimidating like a date. Maybe bring her and/or friends back to your house, and if you wanna get cunning, have your friends get in on the plan and have them all leave your house to give you guys some alone time. That will get you two past the "hanging out with each other out of school" stage. After that, you are home free to pursue hanging out with her again, especially on your own.

Of course there are plenty of more ways to go about this, the movie thing was just the simplest example I could think of.

Whatever you do though, be confident, because after all, if you like this girl, then doing ANYTHING with her (friend or boyfriend) is good, so enjoy it. But flirting with her can definitely help. You seem to have already gotten past the hard stage, meeting her. Just take everything you already know and apply it to her. She wants to feel special, so make her feel that way. But if she doesn't play back, don't be discouraged, it only means she is not where you are yet mentally (unless of course she point blank tells you otherwise).