'boyfriend' having trouble with weddings

Well here is my story. How do i convince my boyfriend to let the past go? 5 years ago he was married for 6 months. she wanted to be single again and they broke up/divorced. every since he can't go to weddings and is still very bitter. i want him to be my date to a friends wedding but i can't convince him. i dont' see that he will get over it. i think that his ex has 'won' and permamently scarred him and the possibility of finding happiness in marriage. im just surprised that he can't put it aside and go to the wedding for me. not even the ceremony, just the reception. what do i do?

I could understand if his divorce was recent...but 5 years should be enough time to heal. We all have our own wounds from relationships...but that doesn't mean we won't try again.

Your asking him to attend the reception with you, that's a fun time...it's not like your asking him to sit through the ceremony. If he insists on not going and the only reason is because of his own bad experience, I would go by yourself or take a girlfriend. He needs to get over it. Besides, if he doesn't even want to attend a wedding...how's he going to react should you want to marry him.

Hope he goes with you and have fun!!

Woobiegirl