Gf is joining the Peace Corps

My girlfriend and I are entering our junior year of college this fall, and after we graduate in two years, she is planning on joining the Peace Corps for two years. We are both very committed to each other and I do envision us being together in two years, I'm just worried that that type of distance would be impossible for us to overcome. Has anyone else had any situations like this? I know it's a long ways away and I don't need to worry about it now, but its something I think about from time to time.

After 3 years together, my ex dropped the ball on me that he intended on joining the Peace Corps and there was no way he'd change his mind.

Now, there were other (severe) issues that contributed to our eventual breakup, but this was something I never could come to terms with--the thought of spending 2 years by myself.

Some people can do it...I mean, look at people with spouses in the military. But, it's not for everyone. And if you're already worried about it, I can tell you from experience it will probably get worse.

I would have a serious talk about what will happen with your relationship if she really does do this. Also, keep in mind that if you plan on getting married, you have to postpone it until after she's finished because they won't let her go if she's married and you're not accompanying her.

But, this isn't something to be taken lightly. I can tell you that much. Especially if you're having doubts already about whether or not it will work.

Archived