Working out with a possible hernia...

Okay, so I really want to get in good shape for the summer and work out to help me quit smoking, but I have a bit of a problem.

I've been experienceing a strange, slight ache and pressure in my lower left abdomen area. I don't feel a lump or anything, but it does feel a bit like my left oblique is swollen. It's been this way for about 2 years now, but more so recently. It doesn't feel like the pain of a pulled muscle, but it still could possibly be that. However, I'm worried it may be the beginnings of a hernia.

I'm currently looking for a job, so I don't have money or insurance to get it checked out/fixed just yet, but I still want to work out and get in shape. Does anybody know of any exercises that would sculpt my body, and yet be relatively safe and easy on that area. Also, specifically what exercises should I avoid.

I'd appreciate any help you could offer.

The thing is that your obliques are a basic part of your core, which is used for pretty much any compound exercises.

What this does leave you to be allowed are isolated exercises. You can Google, or go to link removed, and find isolated exercise for any of the muscle groups you want to build.

I wouldn't recommend much cardio [if you're cutting], but it doesn't matter, since you can get the same effect with HIT [High Intensity Training] with the weights.

And of course, 80% of you shaping up is your diet. Take 13-15x of your bodyweight in lbs, and those are your maintenance calories. Drop 600 calories out, and that's your cutting calorie amount. It varies, so check 1-2 weeks of results, and adjust your calories like you need. Unless you're obese, you don't need to be losing more than a pound of fat a week. You don't want to lose muscle because it's a pain in the ass to gain in general, so no point in losing some of it trying to cut an extra couple of lbs of fat, since it'll be in vain.

Archived