I failed my GNED History Class

So I did my final for my History class which is my GNED. This is the class I was accused for plagerism. I failed by 1.33 marks.

I couldn't do anything about the assignment so I said whatever. However, I put on extra pressure on myself to pass. I needed to break even 20/40 on the exam to pass. I studied and studied so I could do really well on the exam.

In the class I seemed to well on some of the tests but others not so well. Mostly, because the tests contained questions that were not in the material studied. I ended not studying for another exam I had this afternoon. Bottom line is I failed the GNED exam and failed the course. I did pass the other exam getting 29/33 on it.

So I emailed my prof.

Here is the emaill "Hi there Mr.ABC,

Hope everything is well with you. I'm in your History of Western Technology and Social Values class, the one that takes place on Thursdays mornigng. I just finished the last test and I noticed in the "My Progress" tab on the Web-CT website said that I have a mark of 48.66. I was wondering if that is that the final grade recieved for the course? If so is there any way I could get a increase of 1.66 in my final grade? This is my final year at the college and I would like to graduate at the end of this semester with my fellow classmates. I know it is a lot to ask to for, since I didn't do that well overall in the course. I really did try hard; and I know that my last assignment didn't show any efforts. I can assure you though, I had no means on plagerising someone elese work and trying to pass it on as my own. I have reason to believe that I did it by accident trying to take my notes from the movie viewing and turning it into an answer for the assignment question. I also did rent a copy of the movie to watch it. In the end I did make a mistake and I apologioze for my actions. Again, I know it is alot to ask for; but if possible it would be greatly appreciated just so I could graduate."

My prof responded via email. Here is the email "Where were you the whole semster? Why didn't you come to class?"

It understandable that he doesn't know me personally, as he teaches a lot of history course. However, I've been in the class room for the past 14 weeks. I've also been sitting front row.

I responded via email saying "I've been in class every week. I sit up at the front:

Then I got the response I was looking for from him. "OK I'll bump you up to 50%"

This is such a blessing that he passed me in the end.

You were REALLY lucky.

If I were a professor, I wouldn't have done that at all, unless you came to office hours frequently and showed real personal initiative to me, since you were doing poorly.

My professors often discuss how students have a sense of entitlement: they believe they deserve to get a good grade whether they do the work or not. I'm not saying that YOU are like that, Glegend. But you are right to be counting this as a blessing.

Well, at least you passed.

One of worst university nightmares was in a 4th year class which has 10 students, and the book I had to analyze and critique was one written by the Prof.

What you're describing is called a "seminar", and it is the bread and butter of graduate courses. It can be intimidating, but it is a shame that more undergrads don't get that experience. Seminars are the first step to learning what being in your field really means. Professors often assign their own books as reading. I've seen this in large classes as well as seminars.

Well, at least you passed.

Thats how I'm looking at it, and really thats all I wanted. Just to pass.

You were REALLY lucky.

If I were a professor, I wouldn't have done that at all, unless you came to office hours frequently and showed real personal initiative to me, since you were doing poorly.

My professors often discuss how students have a sense of entitlement: they believe they deserve to get a good grade whether they do the work or not. I'm not saying that YOU are like that, Glegend. But you are right to be counting this as a blessing.

I wasn't doing that poorly. My mark shows I was. However; I had 4 strikes against me. We had 5 tests, 4 + the final. I didn't do well on 2. We had an entry quiz where he didn't say there was material to study for all he said was we do it to see how much we know, so I had that strike against me. The first assignment which was graded out of 5 I didn't do well, he said I missed the point. And the last assingment out of 5 I got 0.

But I was there every class, and took notes and showed I cared. I would speak to him everytime he mentioned about a test or assignment in regards to whats expected to study/write about. Its just those questions that weren't in the material I studied that threw me.

What you're describing is called a "seminar", and it is the bread and butter of graduate courses. It can be intimidating, but it is a shame that more undergrads don't get that experience. Seminars are the first step to learning what being in your field really means. Professors often assign their own books as reading. I've seen this in large classes as well as seminars.

Yeah, all my fourth years were seminars, because my degree is an honours degree.

It is tricky, someitmes in history they will throw at you only what was taken in lecture, or only what was in the reading material or what was in the tutorial, you really have to know all of it and know your prof. I found history was more a study of the prof and what they were like. You had to know what their slant on history was. There is a subjective element to things that are not definative. Math and science ....it is what it is it is, ya know? Other things like literature and history can be seen by whatever slant or politics or gender and it is going to have a different flavour so you have to know your prof.

Archived