Burnt out...what should I give up?

Qut81

I mentioned a few times how I work 2 jobs and go to school. I am starting to get burnt out. I work 7 days a wk and with my social life on top of that, I barely have time to myself. I think thats why I got the flu last wk, my body was forcing me to take a day off I guess.

Anyway, I took a pay cut with my day job so in order to pay my bills, I have to work the pt job. I work 9-5 at my day job and 2-3 days a week at the part time job. I also have school Monday and Thursdays. Problem is that I love both of my jobs so I dont want to give it up. However, something has to give. I asked my part time job to only work 2 Sundays a month so I can at least have 2 days off a month. Its not helping and they really only give me one Sunday off a month now. I still feel exhausted all the time and like Im missing out on my youth bc I have worked 2 jobs since 18. What should I do?

Some options:

1. Cut back on your spending

2. Find a better paying job (easier said than done, I know, but even doing bartending a couple days a month can bring in alot of cash)

3. Take out student loans or a line of credit

4. Find a roommate to share expenses

5. Ask for a one month leave of absence from your second job to recuperate

First pare down your budget and find more affordable ways to live (downsize your place, cut luxury items, move to a less expensive part of town, realize your personal tastes may exceed your budget, etc.)

I'd cut the social life next. In fact, I did. I had ZERO social life between the ages of 23 and 31 because I had to deal with work and school and other things. And even as recently as 3 years ago, I had to take a second job to deal with a financial blow that hit me - I didn't see the BF, I never went anywhere but work and home. Entertainment was tv or a DVD or a book or the radio. Survival was important.

When working and going to school, I found that cutting back on my social life was harmful. You absolutely need to let loose with your loved ones, get some fresh air and exercise, meet new people and be there for your friends when they need you. It can lead to depression and isolation.

Balance is key

Well, I cut out my social life before and that led to severe depression. I need a support system.

*Sigh* I have a 2 bedroom 2 ba apt I live in by myself. My sister moved out a few months ago. However, Ive had roomates before and honestly, I know financially it would be awesome but sometimes you get what you pay for. With a roomate, I find life to be a lot more exhausting. I know its the right thing to do but I need someone that is laid back. I have my moments where I come home and I dont want to socialize, talk, or anything. I just want to watch tv in peace. Even my own sister had a problem with that.

I cut down every expense (except cable, I wouldnt know what to do without my tv shows) I took a pay cut at this job cause I got laid off in Sept for 3 months and took the first thing available. I am very good at what I do and that is rare for me, so I dont want to quit.

I will look into getting a roomate and quitting the mall job. I have bartending experience and in one night I can make what I make at the mall in 2 wks. I just really like that job. I guess I have to make sacrifices right?

Some options:

1. Cut back on your spending

2. Find a better paying job (easier said than done, I know, but even doing bartending a couple days a month can bring in alot of cash)

3. Take out student loans or a line of credit

4. Find a roommate to share expenses

5. Ask for a one month leave of absence from your second job to recuperate

Btw, I am getting student loans and I take out more than I need to live on. I am not sure where my expenses are going. I need a budget. I know I spend a lot on food and I do smoke pot. If I cut that out, I would save almost $100 a month. However, that is very hard for me. I dont feel I can deal with life without it (i know, sad).

Try to find a roommate who's studying something really hard - like med school or dentistry, someone who spends all her time at the library or at home studying. Those make the best roommates. I once had this roommate who was in med school and she never left her room - not even to go to class! She was too busy studying. Seriously. (They had video conferencing of the lectures.) I could probably count on one hand the number of times I saw her leave the apartment.

You should definitely know where your money is going. Budgeting could be the next step, but first just try writing down everything you spend. I'm sure you'll be surprised by what you find.

I won't even comment on the pot part, except to say that I never could have made it through grad school without ...enough said.

Archived