I am taking my son for a check up tomorrow and we are going to make a decision on his medication. We recently switched him to Concerta, which is an all day time-released medication. That works pretty well but I think he still needs a stronger dose. His behavior has been pretty out of control lately, he has also been sick and unable to attend school all week, which is tiring for me.

I would like to know if anyone knows or has heard of the medication Atterol. The school nurse recomended it when he first got started on ritalin about a year ago. Especially if any of you have taken either of these med's I have mentioned. I wonder what the side effects are. Someone here in his cubscouts mentioned that their sons take some sleeping medication to help them sleep at night as they, like my son, are often up until 1 am. Which makes getting up for school difficult too.

Thank you in advance for any advice, I appreciate all the help that I can get!

Hi Sisterlynch,

I am not sure about Atterol. But I know my brother (14) uses Ritalin and it works GREAT with him. If you would like to see more information on it, try link removed

Good luck!

~ SwingFox ~

PS: sorry for posting late, I am somewhat behind because of personal issues.

• 4 years later...

First of all, I also have a boy with ADHD. How old is your son?? mine is 7. He also was on Ritilin but I took him off as I hated the side affects. Hence, he did great at school but also was irritable and too calm. I am trying an herbal alternative called Focus specifically for kids by a company called NativeRemedies. He has been on it for about 1 week and I have seen some changes... The product is all natural and I fully researched the website and where the product comes from and everything is okay. The bottom line is I am exhausted all the time as he is like a motor, non-stop all day. This is also my reason for joining this website because sometimes I feel so desperate and alone. keep in touch.

Hi again Sisterlynch,

I became side tracked and did not fully answer your question about Atterol. I believe the medication you refer to is "Aderral XR". Yes, I was prescribed this as well to my son and he took it for about 3 months and I switched to Ritilin. With Adderall my son was very irritable and fussy especially before bed and he had no appetite while on the medication. This was my experience, but yours may be different as the doctors say "all kids are different".