Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Book Talk

Who is your favorite author of westerns?

COtuner

I enjoy Zane Grey, Max Brand and Ralph Compton, myself. I look for good writing style, dialogue that doesn't come accross as forced or unrealistic (points for dialect), and a story that's true to the times being portrayed (or ok, where artistic license doesn't detract from the storyline!)

Anyone else out there enjoy the westerns?

Is Michael Crichton a western author? He is my favorire author. I am currently reading his novel-Timeline. I love it so much.

Nope. Westerns refer to books about the real and mythological "Old West" in North America, primarily. (although I've seen them about the outback in Australia as well) Cowboys, Native American tribes, Mexican vaqueros, fur trappers, settlers, Alaskan gold rush, etc. In the movies think "Tombstone", "Magnificent Seven", "Stagecoach", and so forth.

I read a pretty good series once about a supposed illigitimate son of Wyatt Earp living in Alaska. Can't remember the name (had "wolf" in it), but that could be considered part western, part historical fiction.

"Wildfire" by Zane Grey is probably my all time favorite western, my 1976 copy is well read... all by me over the years. Yep, I was 6 when I first read it, still love it.

Archived