Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

On the blade's edge: A journal on the life and times of DaBladeRoden

DaBladeRoden

Hmm, I dunno if I'm nonnarcissistic enough to post a thread where non-OP replies are outside the norm. But here I go!

12/19/08

Bored today. Sent a link for my website to my myriad of career counselors. link removed

Awesome.

Need to come up with a new nickname for my latest interest. She likes to swear a lot in her emails, then asks me if I'm ok with it, maybe I'll call her Swearing Girl?

• 4 weeks later...

Man, most of my blogs can usually last longer than one entry.

I thinks things are fairly in a square one zone. (read: boring) so this might be a good place to try picking things up with this thread again.

1/12-13/09

Another boring day. All my prospects appear to be fading from reality, either because of my doing, or just rapid-action form of the natural decay of meetup attendence. That's the trouble with these meetup groups, the high turnover rate. When someone shows up at a meeting, there's a great unpredicability about whether they're come to another one. Sadly the unpredictability of future attendence is proportional to how attractive they are. Which kind of puts pressure on you to act quickly or lose your chance forever, naturally the end result with me is losing a lot of my chances forever.

I'm reminded of this one woman who approached the meetup group with great gusto, she'd talk about all she meetings she wanted to do, and how she wanted to become and assistant organizer and all that. Sounds like someone you'll be hearing more from right? Then she drops from the face of the earth.

Even besides prospects, I'm running out of people to talk to. All my rl friends seem to be having cell phone bill issues, so no calling or texting or anything. One is off seeing another guy. Everyone else, just IM convoing regularity decay. Seems almost inevitable really. Just like Tibbs and Wilson were my big advice givers a year ago, something always comes up that ends things. Like going back to school or the skunk incident. So now too is this "generation" of convoers fading away. Your only hope to combat the fading away of the old ones is constantly finding new people to chat with.

It really is a lot like dating really. You really need to balance the rate of rejection with the rate of new opportunties, or you'll soon find yourself at square one again just like me. And you may find yourself fruitlessly reaching into the past to dig up the old generations again. Doesn't seem to work much in IM convoing. You used to talk to someone regularly, then the decay occurred, and you stop talking, and later you try to go back, it just doesn't seem to work.

Kind of like dating. When I got Facebook, it was the thing to find all the people you knew in school's past. So like whevener there was a drought of newcomers in my life, I'd often look back into the past so see if there was anyone I overlooked the first time around could have a second chance with all these years later. Probably a bad idea. They didn't like you then why should anything have changed?

Okay enough of this introspection, I should go back to playing Fallout 3 and kill me some Super Mutants, things you're glad don't come back after they expire.

Archived