soulmates

Hi all,

I stumbled accross this quote on another board, and thought it may be a good idea to post it here... it's from the book Eat, Pray, Love which I quite enjoyed when I read it a couple of years ago...

"…A true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you

everything that’s holding you back, the person who brings you to your own

attention so you can change your life. A true soul mate is probably the most

important person you’ll ever meet, because they tear down your walls and

smack you awake. But to live with a soul mate forever. Nah. Too painful.

Soul mates, they come into your life just to reveal another layer of yourself

to you, and then they leave. And thank God for it."

I love it. When I read it, it makes me hopeful, like maybe my ex was my soul mate, and maybe it's ok that he's gone.

My ex told me in an email he sent last year, before we started dating, that "I knew we were soulmates!". To this day and probably until my death bed, I will remember that he said this and that I imbued it with SOOOO much meaning. And to him, it was probably just a line he threw out there to draw me in.

I don't know if he is my soulmate or not, but I would not think being with a true soulmate should lead to pain and heartbreak. Needless to say, he is now gone and I'm working on letting him go...in my heart AND in my soul.

I love it, thanks for posting that. I recently ended a 6 year relationship with my boyfriend who I truly believed was my soulmate. My heart is shattered to see how fast he has moved on, and that is completely over it and happy. There is so much history there and I find it hard to believe that it meant that much more to me than to him. Thanks for the quote!

Archived