the great big purge

Almost three weeks ago, my ex broke up with me, because she had met a guy for a week. So, it didn't matter our mutual talk about me about me moving in to her house, her wish for me to propose to her before I move in, our mutual talk about the future, and finding jobs after grad school, etc., she broke up with me to be with this guy.

I know these speeches and promises don't really hold up after the fact, but they do make it harder for me to get past this, as I have to untangle all those parts of my life I had promised to her, and start new.

Today I returned home. And considering that I hadn't heard from her in these last three weeks, I decided it was OK for me to destroy everything that she had at my apartment. I threw away my key to her house last week.

And it feels good. Each day is a different battle. But now that I'm back, and I've purged my apartment of every last reminder of her, I feel as though I'm taking back all those parts of my life I had given her. Tomorrow might still be tough. But right now, I feel like I'm really back. It feels GOOD.

Archived