"I like your _____, where did you get it?"

mfan

Most lists of "questions women like to be asked" suggest this as a nice way of complimenting someone. I often like something in particular about what a girl is wearing, so the compliment would be totally sincere. But, I'm a 31-year-old guy, I know very little about designers or brands or clothing stores, and it seems inappropriate for me to ask "where did you get it/them?" if I don't expect to understand the answer.

Is it dishonest or inappropriate for me to ask this? Or do girls not mind at all?

If this is a bad question, then what's a good follow-up question after complimenting someone's article of clothing or accessory? thanks so much!

I agree.... men who ask me where I got something... well.. that is reserved for either my gay guy friends or boyfriends who are shopping for me

On the other hand, women generally LOVE to hear that a particular item is especially complementary to them... and feel free to be specific too. For example: "That shirt brings out your eyes" or "that color is amazing with your hair" etc.

Just be genuine though.

Follow up question... I guess that depends on context. Are you using these compliments as opening lines to hit on women and hopefully break the ice and get a date... or are you already on a date and trying to get closer to them?

is it someone you know or people you come accross and would like to get to know?

It's someone I would like to get to know better. I'd like to not just give a compliment but also ask a question, because that can start a nice conversation. But, other than "Where did you get it", what are some better ideas for a question on this topic?

Thanks for your help so far.

• 2 weeks later...

I see no need to ask "where did you get it", but if you are interested in knowing, I see no harm in asking, either. I know plenty of straight guys who are interested in design, so to say it labels someone as gay is just silly. Anyway, ask if you want to know, don;t ask if you could care less, but either way, a genuine compliment is always appreciated!

It's someone I would like to get to know better. I'd like to not just give a compliment but also ask a question, because that can start a nice conversation. But, other than "Where did you get it", what are some better ideas for a question on this topic?

Thanks for your help so far.

Like others have said, just compliment her. If she's friendly and says more than just 'thanks' you can easily start a friendly conversation with her.

Don't worry if it's gay to ask a girl where she got an item if it really does interest you (But it does seem to be the consensus here). Don't worry if you don't know what she's talking about, just say 'well, you have very good taste' or something along those lines.

Archived