Need opinions

I'm 24 years old, I have a degree in Animal Science, and I'm working at a department store...is that really bad?

On one hand I think it's a really good thing for me right now. It's a very low stress job and very accomodating. I've decided to tackle life without anti-depressants, and I told myself I'd lose weight before my birthday, which comes with its own stresses.

However, I feel like others look down on me, because I'm working at a department store.

I just wonder if that's a really bad thing in the scheme of things.

I certainly don't plan on working there forever.

One of my co-workers told me I was crazy for working there when I have degree. Another asked me why I don't use my degree. And a family friend I hadn't seen in ages seemed displeased.

So, it kind of makes me wonder if I'm doing something really wrong.

I'm trying to figure out exactly what I want to do with my life right now, and I'm starting to feel bad about my situation.

I feel good going to work everyday, personally. But seeing others negative reactions is making me wonder if something is wrong with me.

It doesn't matter what people think. What matters is what YOU think. Remember, you're the only person that has to live with you for the rest of your life. No one else. You do what makes you happy, because they don't know what's best for you. Only you can know that.

when i graduated with a masters degree in biology, i spent two months working at a factory, and then four months grading achievement tests.

always keep your eye open for something in your field, but don't feel bad about working any job you need to work to get by.

you're where you are right now because that's where your life is. try not to second guess it, and stay open to opportunity.

I worked at an Office Supply store for 5 years before something finally kicked me in the teeth and told me to try to utilize my potential. It's not "really bad". If you're not ready to pursue anything else then it's your safety net for now. I recommend trying to come up with a career plan with a timeline so you don't end up there forever!

Your career is your decision and ultimately it comes down to what YOU want to do when you're ready to do it. There's nothing wrong with pushing yourself, but don't let other people make you feel like you need to do something when you're not ready.

I worked at an Office Supply store for 5 years before something finally kicked me in the teeth and told me to try to utilize my potential. It's not "really bad". If you're not ready to pursue anything else then it's your safety net for now. I recommend trying to come up with a career plan with a timeline so you don't end up there forever!

Your career is your decision and ultimately it comes down to what YOU want to do when you're ready to do it. There's nothing wrong with pushing yourself, but don't let other people make you feel like you need to do something when you're not ready.

You see how I typed "Office Supply" with uppercase "O" and "S"... ha, that's what 5 years does to you.

I don't think it matters either way what other people think.

However I think I would have the same reaction. I am working my tail end off to get an education so I don't HAVE to work at those kinds of jobs and I can actually make myself some money. And to see someone who has an education and not use it? My first impression would be the same as the others. You're crazy. You should utilize what you worked so hard for.

But then again, it is your choice to work at this job. Me, I'm stuck with it until I work to change it. There is a difference. I guess when you look at it that way, it makes sense. If this is where you are happy, then by all means work there. Just know that you could get a better paying job or one in your field.

I don't think it matters either way what other people think.

However I think I would have the same reaction. I am working my tail end off to get an education so I don't HAVE to work at those kinds of jobs and I can actually make myself some money. And to see someone who has an education and not use it? My first impression would be the same as the others. You're crazy. You should utilize what you worked so hard for.

But then again, it is your choice to work at this job. Me, I'm stuck with it until I work to change it. There is a difference. I guess when you look at it that way, it makes sense. If this is where you are happy, then by all means work there. Just know that you could get a better paying job or one in your field.

i agree. on one hand, yes, you have this degree you worked so hard for, you should use it. but on the other hand, if you need some time to just work a low stress job and focus on your emotional and physical health, then that is extremely important.

i went to weight watchers. they're an extremely supportive enviornment and i met a lot of nice people there. give them a try.

Greywolf, Stereoeclectic, Somerandomguy82, un do roman numerals, and BornToResist..Thank you guys soooo much!!! You're made me feel so much better.

You're right, it's about what matters to me, and I shouldn't care what anyone else thinks.

I really like my job a lot right now, and I'm looking for other jobs, but right now it is my safety blanket.

It fits into my life right now.

Thanks so much! I was really starting to wonder if working at a department store was something I should be ashamed of, despite the fact that I'm really enjoying it right now.

I really appreciate all of your replies.

~Grace

i agree. on one hand, yes, you have this degree you worked so hard for, you should use it. but on the other hand, if you need some time to just work a low stress job and focus on your emotional and physical health, then that is extremely important.

i went to weight watchers. they're an extremely supportive enviornment and i met a lot of nice people there. give them a try.

Thank you also Annie!!!!!

I should give weight watchers a try. I signed up one time, but couldn't make the meetings because of work.

But with my current job, I get some Saturdays off, so I think I'll be able to stick with it.

I know a woman, who has lost so much weight on weight watchers. Thanks for encouraging me to give it another try.

Thank you also Annie!!!!!

I should give weight watchers a try. I signed up one time, but couldn't make the meetings because of work.

But with my current job, I get some Saturdays off, so I think I'll be able to stick with it.

I know a woman, who has lost so much weight on weight watchers. Thanks for encouraging me to give it another try.

that was my problem too - i picked a meeting at first that was close to me, but on thursday afternoons, which i couldn't get off reliably. so, i quit. this time, i rejoined weight watchers and signed up for the early saturday morning meeting. it's a pain in the ass to wake up and go to, but i do it consistently, because i have no excuse not to (unless i'm out of town). i lost 31 lbs with them and made lifetime membership. just go consistently. find a time in the week that ALWAYS works for you, and stick with it. they have 7 AM meeetings in lots of places.

Annie & Stereoeclectic,

Thanks so much for the encouragement!!! If the 2 of you lost weight on weight watchers, I'll definitely give it another a try. The first time I tried it I was only able to go to one meeting before I got that job.

But the people at the meeting were sooo nice! There was a lady there who said she has been apart of Weight Watchers since the 70's! She really thin, and such a nice lady, and she has been thin for a long time, but she continues to come to the meetings.

I guess it's like this site, you know, it makes you feel like you aren't alone in trying to lose weight and stay healthy.

Since people are so faithful to the program, and in attending the meeting, then it must be a really great thing.

I really like my job a lot right now, and I'm looking for other jobs, but right now it is my safety blanket.

Hi Grace, I think it's fine for now because there are reasons you've needed to take that job. Try to look at it as a step in the right direction. Since you're just coming off the anti-depressants, it might help to get extra support from your therapist. Otherwise, you might get stuck in your current job. I definitely think there's nothing wrong with working a retail job while looking for work that is a better fit with your skills and background. My sister had to take a retail job after she got her master's. It took her about 6 months to find a job in her field and she found a great job! So hang in there and keep looking.

Archived