Semi-ex texted-I didn't respond for 3 hours

My semi-ex (we never really ended it) texted me on Sunday at 7:30pm telling me he was at our favorite supermarket back home (it's a sentimental, homesick thing). I didn't check my phone until 10:30pm and texted him back and he texted back right away. I got on the subway after that and didn't reply for 1.5 hours. I never heard back from him after that. Do you think he is mad at me/convinced I don't care?

I mean, we barley speak but maybe once a week since everything got messed up. But he was obviously thinking of me and wanted to contact me, and I didn't respond for 3 hours and then 1.5 hours? What do I do?

Maybe you're reading too much into this. He could be sleeping or taking a shower, it could be a variety of reasons.

I wouldn't wait by your phone expecting a text back. He probably did it as a friendly gesture, and it sure didn't look like a "let's get back together" type text either.

If you never ended it, why only speak once a week? Why don’t you just give him a call?

Because it's like I'm hanging on a string. He never said "It's over." It's more, "I don't know." We never talk about it and when we do it's "I don't know." from him. I get advice on here to give him his space so I try and keep distance.

Because it's like I'm hanging on a string. He never said "It's over." It's more, "I don't know." We never talk about it and when we do it's "I don't know." from him. I get advice on here to give him his space so I try and keep distance.

Suzanne, I know this is hard, but...you really have to take his "I don't know" as "It's over." Until he SHOWS you, through deliberate, definitive actions, that it is YOU he wants to be with, it's over.

I know it's easy for me to say. My ex chose someone else over me, and he made a definite choice. However, prior to that, I did suffer due to his "I don't know" sort of wishy-washiness. It was HELL. As much as I hate that he is with someone else, I'm really glad that whole limbo thing is over.

Archived