I've gotsa question...

Leon

Whew - hope I wasn't labeled as an "unattached female" in college - it's not some sort of category after all. Sounds more like you're referring to an animal or an object than a person.

Why might there be women who are not dating anyone exclusively while in college? Could be that the woman is focusing intensely on her studies or other interests, could be that she has not met anyone she wants to get involved with, could be that she is at a stage in her life where she prefers to socialize in groups or date people on a more casual basis. There is definitely not one answer. Perhaps one general response is that someone who is full time in college typically is under 25 (with many exceptions I know!) and since the average age of marriage is above 25 (at least in the US) it's not surprising that a young woman would be single.

Well I was asking this question cause in my class the teacher was asking us if we were doing anything for valentines day. NONE of the younger kids had a significant other, only like 2 people fairly older had any plans... There were some pretty decent looking women (although I'm not attracted to them) there too.

So, are you saying that a decent looking or better looking woman "should" be attached/have an SO? Why would you draw that conclusion? Is it because you think that if she is decent looking or better there must be something wrong with her if she hasn't been snapped up? How would you know that that is the reason as opposed to it being her choice to focus on other things in her life right now other than being in a relationship?

I think your teacher's question was unprofessional and overly personal - at least the way you described it in your post.

Well I was asking this question cause in my class the teacher was asking us if we were doing anything for valentines day. NONE of the younger kids had a significant other, only like 2 people fairly older had any plans... There were some pretty decent looking women (although I'm not attracted to them) there too.

doesn't mean they are single. some people don't like to talk about their personal lives in school either. i'd be a bit weirded out if a teacher asked what i was doing. even in a general sense.

doesn't mean they are single. some people don't like to talk about their personal lives in school either. i'd be a bit weirded out if a teacher asked what i was doing. even in a general sense.

Yeah, well I figured that, but then she asked if the reason we didn't is because we we're not in a relationship. Eh, this teacher is kind of outgoing I guess, and it's early in the morning and people are all crappy and not responsive so before class was over she asked us that question.

Yeah, it was pretty stupid for me to assume that if a person is attractive that they MUST have already been taken by now, because anyone who would pass them up is an idiot etc.

I usually don't have that kind of prejudice, and I didn't use to act like that in high school, but I guess another reason I do that is because I usually don't like talking to girls that are highly attractive to me (like 9-10). I assumed that they were the type to let their looks go to their head or something, but I guess I can get along with some of them I have a few friends who are like that.

Archived