Divorce Financial Advice Needed

debsea

Hi, my husband of 18yrs left me 4yrs ago, its been a long hard road and its still very hilly, but life goes on.

Well we have neither of us ever filed for divorce, I know that I didn't originally because I didn't want to break this final connection. We have a mostly friendly relationship which we need because of the kids, theres only the occasional flare up.

I still don't actually want to get divorced even though I don't see us getting back together ever, I find it comforting, a link to my old life. Obviously he may put in for one at some time.

Now the advice I need is am I being financially stupid by not getting a divorce. Since him leaving I have bought a shared ownership house in my name so I am building up some equity apart from that I have a tiny bit of savings. Oh plus 12k of debt left to me by him. He is in tied accommodation with more debt than money.

My question is could he have claim to any of the equity building if we divorce, I bought the house solely without him after he left. I might add I have only ever had £50 to £75 per month per child (2 of).

If I'm making myself financially unstable because I'm not divorced then I know I should sort it. I was hoping to have him pay up half the debt before settling a divorce but I don't see that happening and to pay solicitors will just make for an expense when he has no money to pay it. Plus I don't want the bad feeling it would cause.

You need legal advice for your particular area and yes I believe there are risks financially. Could you be liable for any of his debt? I don't think he could for your house but I am not sure, if you died suddenly would he have a right to your estate?

You need good legal advice.

Archived