is working out ALWAYS supposed to hurt??

Well, you will get sore (by this I mean muscle aches/fatigue (like a dull soreness...NOT pain! ) if:

1) You are shaking up the routine and pushing body harder, or using heavier weights, or running some fartleks, or something...just something different that shakes up the routine.

2) You are not getting enough recovery between workouts

3) You are not fueling and hydrating properly - your muscles cannot repair as they are lacking the hydration and fuel needed.

4) You are not adequately warming up and cooling down, cold muscles will get damaged easier.

5) You are very new to exercising.

I will be sore after particulary hard or new workouts....soreness is good as it indicates your muscles are repairing (IF you give them time to do so!), if I am just doing an "easy day" or an "active recovery" - like a "easy run", I won't be sore next day.

I rarely get "sore" these days (I have years of fitness built up_ except as I said after particularly hard workouts or something ENTIRELY new for me...for me I will just sense my muscles (particularly legs) are "tired" and will make a point to to take it easier or take a day off to recover.

You may not be getting sore if you are not having any of the above list issues, or it may be as you are not pushing yourself either. Remember there is a big difference between muscle soreness (DOMS - Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) and PAIN! You do not want PAIN! DOMS shows your body is repairing muscle.

A consistent routine may be why you are NOT sore...your body gets used to it and adapts...and stops gaining fitness...which is when you need to shake it up.

I work out a few times a week, light weightlifting and an hour of cardio each visit. I am rarely ever sore. A couple of years ago I worked out enough to get sore, and I started to get a little bulky. I didn't like that look, so I went back to very light workouts. I want to be in shape but also look feminine.

There are a lot of women where I go who really get tough looking. I imagine they do get sore. I don't ever want to get big biceps and huge shoulders. It's just not the look I'm going for.

I work out a few times a week, light weightlifting and an hour of cardio each visit. I am rarely ever sore. A couple of years ago I worked out enough to get sore, and I started to get a little bulky. I didn't like that look, so I went back to very light workouts. I want to be in shape but also look feminine.

There are a lot of women where I go who really get tough looking. I imagine they do get sore. I don't ever want to get big biceps and huge shoulders. It's just not the look I'm going for.

me neither.

There is one thing that amazes me when I go to the gym. That is the people who stand in the mirror the entire time they are there. One woman this week did nothing but pace back and forth for several minutes admiring her own bulging muscles. Some people really spend more time staring at themselves than working out at my gym. It's pretty funny.

A poster on here, cpc28655, has the following qt for his sig:

“If you're working out in front of a mirror and watching your muscles grow, your ego has reached a point where it is now eating itself. That's why I believe there should be a psychiatrist at every health club, so that when they see you doing this, they will take you away for a little chat.” Lewis Black

Couldn't agree more.

I'm always stiff the second day after doing a complete yoga routine. It reminds me I have muscles in all kinds of unusual places.

I keep meaning to do more aerobic work but have been very lazy lately. I don't have to exercise to keep weight off, but I'm sure that means my arteries are furring up and will hit me with a nasty surprise sooner or later...

Archived