Tired of the same ol' routine

Let me start off by saying that I love my friends. They are fun and I have had them for a long time. I've known one for 18 years, another 14 years, another 10 years, and another 13 years. So mind you, these aren't just "single serving friends", these are life long friends. I'd take a bullet and die for any of them.

But I'm tired of the same thing. All we do, since we became of age, I'm 23 now, is drink. We go to bars, clubs, tailgait, whatever; but we are always drinking. And i'm just sick of it. For one thing, my 14 year boy spilt beer on me last night as we were leaving a concert at which we were tailgaiting, on purpose, not to be mean, but just to be a jerk (sensors lol). In other words he didn't do it because he was mad or anything, he just did it because he's a cocky ...

But regardless, I want to keep my friends but I don't want to go out drinking all the time. And I don't know what to do about it. It wouldn't be right for me to ask them to not drink when we hang out. Especially since two of them drink every day.

Would it be better if I just meet new people who do different things, yet keep my old friends but just not hang out with them ALL the time? I am so lost right now. I almost lost one of them last night because as I went up to him at the bar to ask a question, some dude he knows was sitting there and stared at me during my entire walk, then asked me if I was the one with the problem. Lets just say it didn't end well at the bar. But I don't bar fight so that didn't happen. Then there's the case where my other boy spilt the beer on me. Then another one hardly ever answers his phone and when he does, he's like "I'll call you later and let you know what I'm going to do" as far as coming out goes, but he never calls me back. So maybe it's time to meet new people?...lol I practically answered my own question and contradicted myself. But i'd still love some feedback.

Hey how are you...I understand you have known them forever but you have to branch out and meet others as you have said because FRIENDS answer the phone, they don't spill beer on you for no reason...It just seems like they're the partying type and you're growing out of their childish ways..

It's tough because you have a lifelong bond with them but you're basically going to have to go ahead and find new buddies.If you're in college, frats are a great way to meet them

Hi CamoroJoe

I'm glad you are making the decision to not "go drinking" with them, as this is a surefire route towards alcoholism - habitable drinking. Apparently it takes 10 years for a male to become an alcoholic. So, you are right - social life does not have to revolve around getting smashed all the time. You are making the right decision for you and you are obviously much more mature than your buddies. Don't get me wrong, I love a sociable drink with my friends, sometimes! I'm not a total drag!! But it does sound like you need to branch out and widen your circle of friends. The friends I had during high school are no longer my friends. Though, I do still have a few friends from college - who I have kept over the years. Friends change as our lives change; they get married, or move away or become different people with different interests to us. This is not necessarily a bad thing.

What are you interested in? Sport? Theatre? Music? Golf? Helping people? Get involved with something that involves a team of people - where you can meet similar people of a similar age. Take up a class - branch out. Challenge yourself! What would you like to do for an interest? DJ, Surf, karate instructor, photographer, sail, learn guitar, rap, D.I.Y, creating writing? There are so many options and luckily you have sunny florida on your side, so that makes your options even wider for outdoor activities!

See this as a chance to broaden your interests and to develop your life! Soon your friends will be calling you, but you'll be too busy!

Go for it! Camarojoe!

Archived