help/information - on radiology

Its not actually a radiologist, but its an X-Ray technician. I am going to start going to school to become one. I would like to have a head start on things. I would like to study before school. If anyone can give me information on WHAT it is that i need to study, id be greatly appriciated.

Well, I don't know much on that topic. I would suggest researching it online a little. I don't really know what you want to learn about it, or even what there is to learn about it, so I would just suggest going online, or finding books about it.

Sorry I'm not much help, but thats what I would do.

Just for starters, you might want to consider purchasing a few books on Amazon on human anatomy. Get to know your anatomy first. It's crucial for any part of the medical field, to get some background knowledge on the human body. I think that for an X-Ray technician, I'm not quite sure, but depending on each state, some states will require that you do need certification. Meaning, you have to take 'state-boards.' I'm not studying to be an X-ray technician myself, but that's just what I learned in my classes: you have to know the basic anatomy in order to work in the medical field. (Of course not as a medical assistant, I don't think. Maybe just a little)

Also, look into buying human anatomy flash cards. Start learning on prefixes/terminology. Try not to stress too much on terminology, since professors will go through what you need to know step by step. Anyway, Human Anatomy, by Dr. Marieb helped me lots in my anatomy class.

image removed My professor loved this book. I think it could be better. It's one of the better ones that I've seen so far. It's good enough, just for starters.

Also, try memorizing the bones section first. THe skeletal system's the easiest to remember. Since it is what you probably will study most on, it's best to know and understand bone growth as well. For instance, from ebryonic development onto adult bone formation. Professors will drill you on that info. Then afterwards, I would focus on the brains/nevous system. That's how the human anatomy classes usually start off first:

1. Skeletal

2. Muscles (I'm not sure if you really need to understand it in detail. For instance, origin and insertion. Get the gist of it, but I don't think it will be a crucial for your state-boards. Focus mostly on the bones, brains/circulatory.)

3. Brain/Nevious/Cardiac/Circulatory Systems

4. Digestive/Urinary

5. Endocrine

6. Histology

whatever it is, I'd get a head start on the skeletal system. The skull's the easiest, then work your way into remembering the spinal. Work from general to specific. Try not to study the details first. That's probably the best thing that you can do for now. Good luck to you. -Mahlina

P.S.-Check out this site. It's FREE! It's called: "Get Body Smart." Start using it before they start charging the site. I think that they're promoting their materials for the time being, but will start charging soon. So try to absorb as much info as you can, before they start charging. That's what our professors tell us. You'll love this site. Here it goes:

link removed

BTW, it doesn't go into details as much. So try using the textbook as a supplement. Hope this helps! Take Care.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, this is the topic that I know something about!

My boyfriend is currently an x-ray technician, and he graduated from his program in May of this year. Up until then, I helped him study, so I'm the woman to ask!

Ok, if you want to get a head start on some things like anatomy, I commend you for your work ethic, but I would suggest you invest in inexpensive anatomy falshcards, or, better yet, check out a book like GRAY'S ANATOMY from your library. I would NOT suggest that you buy any extra books. I know it is easy to get caught up in the excitement of a program you are entering, but keep in mind that each class you take will have a required textbook, and if you haven't bought college textbooks before, especially science ones, you should know that each book will easily run in the neighborhood of $100, even used. That being said, know that you will have to buy many of them, and it will be very frustrating if you already have 2 or 3 anatomy books and have to fork over $100 for another one.

Secondly, it is true that most states require certification to work as an x-ray tech. The only state I know of that doesn't require it is Missouri, and you can only work in MO without it, and they pay less there. But don't worry; if you graduate from any accredited x-ray program, you will be eligible to take the certification test, and if you do ok in school, you'll do ok on the test. The whole last semester of the program is basically devoted to studying for the test. The test qualifies you to work in all 50 states AND Canada.

Third, you should know that all programs I have known of require a clinical rotation, or residency, meaning that you get on-the-job training. This can be fun, but the bad part is that many schools will randomly assign you to a hospital, and it may be up to hours away from where you live. Find out what clinical sites your school uses, as you may have a chance to ask for a nearby one if you ask early. The other crappy thing about clinicals is that you will work up to 30 hours a week for the hospital (keep in mind that the hospital gets to charge $300 bucks per x-ray) and not only will you NOT get paid for the work you do, but you actually PAY the school to LET you work for free! This can get extremely frustrating, and as you will have little time for an extracurricular job during this part of the program, you will also be broke. Keep this in mind so that you can apply for living stipends as part of your financial aid if you qualify, and it may help you to live with your parents during this time.

Most x-ray programs can be completed within 2 years at a junior/community college. These programs offer affordable tuition, and you will graduate with an AAS degree and be eligible to work. Some universities and other 4-year institutions are beginning to offer BS degrees in radiography. Whereas in most fields I can say there is a significant benefit to possessing a BS over an AS, AA, or AAS, in this situation I can say the benefits are limited. You may be more desirable as a department manager, for example, but you aren't granted a better job title or even more money over a 2-year tech. One choice that I believe you will find to your benefit, however, is seeking additional training in CT scans and ultrasound training. For a 2-year student in an x-ray program, adding just one more semester of school can certify you as a CT tech and ultrasound tech, which will offer SIGNIFICANTLY more job opportunities than tech certification alone, and also a pay increase of up to $10 an hour over regular techs. For this reason, I would say it is REALLY worth it. Best bet for the money: enroll in a 2-year program and get additional CT/ultrasound certification.

Other than that, relax, don't stress too much, and have fun! Good luck!