Living in a Caravan. Is this a crazy idea?

thornz

So, as per title, I am considering buying a caravan to live in so I can save money whilst studying to buy a house.

It will be a mobile caravan, towed by my car when I need to move (or fancy a getaway) and my budget will be £2500 max. Roughly 6 months worth of rent for a room in a shared house.

Has anybody lived in a caravan for longer than a year and if so how did you find it?

Is there anything in particular I need to consider?

I know someone who lived in a caravan but it was in a field on property of somebody he knew.

Is this a crazy idea or do you think I could pull it off?

Alternatively considering a motorhome but I like the idea of being able to go off in my car separate from the living quarters.

Thornz. You are in the UK (right?).

Thing is you need to have a site to park the caravan. Either in a caravan park or in someone's field.

I do know people who lived in a caravan for example while their house was being built. Others live in one by choice.

There are associations of caravan owners.

They'd have lots of info for you.

My friend and her husband sold all their stuff last year and off they went with the two dogs to rent a caravan on a long let just like a house . They have to be off the site for 4 weeks out of the year , so stays with her daughter . They love it ,

Another friend and his partner sold up and bought a static home style chalet thing on a site that is again , long term and no having to move off at all .

None have regretted their decisions .

Thornz. You are in the UK (right?).

Thing is you need to have a site to park the caravan. Either in a caravan park or in someone's field.

I do know people who lived in a caravan for example while their house was being built. Others live in one by choice.

There are associations of caravan owners.

They'd have lots of info for you.

I have been sat thinking about this ....there is a lot to think on with you wanting to tour ...it is just dreamy to think of getting in your car and driving to somewhere , anywhere , that nomadic lifestyle ....however , as hermes pointed out , you have to be able to get on a site , how easy will that be in summer , peak season , how much will it cost in peak season to rent that space . I think you should deffo use that link and have a good chat with those that know ...there are caravan pages on facebook , full communities of people who have ditched the house in favour of a caravan .

I think it is a fab idea by the way , but because you want to tour and not rent static you deffo need to do your homework .

There are many youtube channels about this, people who live in vans, cars, RVs, for reasons similar to yours, or for other reasons, and give advice, share experiences, etc. Check out CheapRVLiving with Bob Wells on youtube; he interviews many different folks. Search Living in a van, or Van living, Nomatic living, Caravan life, etc. on youtube for others.

Archived