Unusual situation

I was laid off at the end of January. I was with the company for nearly 15 years and was told it was a financial decision. I understood that and left gracefully. Come to find out said company brought in a former employee, to take my place, who has been on disability for a few years due to burns from a house fire. This disabled employee can work and earn up to a certain amount as long as his doctors still sign off on him being "disabled" and still collect the full amount of his disability insurance. He's working full time and working the system. Do I have any right to report this? And, yes.....I'm pissed.

Pursuing this is bad karma. What do you expect to happen? For him to be canned and you to be rehired? Do you want to get this guy in trouble so he's not cheating the system? The fact is you probably don't have all the information here. There might be another side or another story you're simply not privy too. Nor would your ex co-workers be privy to either.

Best thing would be to not get involved in this negative office political game. Focus your energy on moving forward, and leave this one in the rear view mirror.

Pursuing this is bad karma. What do you expect to happen? For him to be canned and you to be rehired? Do you want to get this guy in trouble so he's not cheating the system? The fact is you probably don't have all the information here. There might be another side or another story you're simply not privy too. Nor would your ex co-workers be privy to either.

Best thing would be to not get involved in this negative office political game. Focus your energy on moving forward, and leave this one in the rear view mirror.

I have no expectation to be re-hired. I wouldn't go back for any amount. That isn't the point. Screwing the system is the point. Please don't forget this is a former co-worker of mine. I know his capabilities. If he can work full time, he doesn't need disability on top of it. Guess you like the idea of screwing the system and taking what doesn't belong to you.

Never mind the fact that there are probably thousands of more productive and less spiteful efforts you could be undertaking. This is 110% none of your business.

So you agree with taking advantage with the system? Much like some single mother would keep popping out kids to stay on welfare? I know this person, very well, and we've had conversations. This is no joke.

I have no expectation to be re-hired. I wouldn't go back for any amount. That isn't the point. Screwing the system is the point. Please don't forget this is a former co-worker of mine. I know his capabilities. If he can work full time, he doesn't need disability on top of it. Guess you like the idea of screwing the system and taking what doesn't belong to you.

Don't direct your anger towards me. You don't know me or anything about me, thank you very much. You're looking for confirmation that reporting him is the right thing to do. I don't agree with your game plan, that's all. Go ahead and report him then, if that's what you feel is the right thing to do.

You can report it if you like but they will know exactly who did it.

This isn't your son. This is a full grown adult taking advantage of what he doesn't need if he can work. Would you reply the same way if it were some baby mama popping out kids for the free income? Same difference.

This isn't your son. This is a full grown adult taking advantage of what he doesn't need if he can work. Would you reply the same way if it were some baby mama popping out kids for the free income? Same difference.

Why are you mad at me? Did I harm you in some capacity?

If you feel you are in the right just report it.

By the way I don't penalize children for what their parents do. If some women are having children to collect welfare I'm not about to punish the children which would be tantamount to what happens when you take the welfare away. Little kids suffer and starve why would I do that?

Do you feel he is not actually disabled from the burns, and that is the dishonest part?

Cat...Is he on SSI? If so, there's a clause where they can work so many hours, and not be penalized. I would ask my husband who's a CPA for more info, but he's working- (tax season).

I'm sorry this happened.

I don't know, but what I do know is that this is someone who will take advantage of whatever is offered fraudulent or not.

This is not about the job.....it about the fraud. Please keep that in mind.

What part of do you feel it makes it fraud? You wrote

This disabled employee can work and earn up to a certain amount as long as his doctors still sign off on him being "disabled" and still collect the full amount of his disability insurance.

And HeartGoesOn wrote

If so, there's a clause where they can work so many hours, and not be penalized.

Is it that he is working and collecting assistance, or working full time, or claiming to be disabled that you find fraudulent?

Why are you mad at me? Did I harm you in some capacity?

If you feel you are in the right just report it.

By the way I don't penalize children for what their parents do. If some women are having children to collect welfare I'm not about to punish the children which would be tantamount to what happens when you take the welfare away. Little kids suffer and starve why would I do that?

I'm not mad at you. YOU brought your son into the conversation...not me.

I'm not mad at you. YOU brought your son into the conversation...not me.

You asked if I would report a woman having kids for welfare, well, no.

You have been making snidely comments to people because they don't agree with you.

I'm sorry that you don't have your job anymore and that you feel this guy is being fraudulent. Just report it.

It's claiming to be disabled and working that I find fraudulent. If you can work, there's no need to collect? But it seems all of you are all about giving the cash away to those that don't really need it so...... I'm done. Hope you all like seeing your tax cash given away to those that can work for their own but don't.

It's claiming to be disabled and working that I find fraudulent. If you can work, there's no need to collect? But it seems all of you are all about giving the cash away to those that don't really need it so...... I'm done. Hope you all like seeing your tax cash given away to those that can work for their own but don't.

It's the system you find fraudulent, then, if he is medically considered disabled. Sounds like it is set up that way, whether you agree with it or not.

OP, unless you are a disability fraud investigator this situation is none of your business. The only thing you can do is report it. You seek validation here and then get upset when folks on a public forum disagree with you. It's clear you're angry, but lashing out at strangers does you no good. The fact of the matter is that this individual will have to claim both the disability and his income from work to the IRS and the state. If this individual is getting too much money through disability then they will be cut off and/or investigated/audited. Either way, it's none of your business.

Well, since they are my tax dollars I don't mind if they go to welfare or disability .

Archived