Going from no communication to communication?

N1607308058

So, I'm a really bad communicator. And I feel like so much is wearing on me now that I have to start communicating better, or I'll lose it.

My question is, if you've been with someone for years, and your communication habits are set in their ways, can a sudden onset of proper communication cause that someone to react badly? How can I mitigate this? Any experience with this?

Some background: been with boyfriend going on 9 years, the last 3 have been long-distance, and I feel like there are so many issues between us, I don't even know where to start. I highly doubt he has any real idea of how I feel.

Thanks

If you cannot communicate you do not have a relationship. So yes the onset of "proper" communication could cause problems initially but without you have nothing anyway.

Agreed; that's why I want to try to change...but maybe I should try to do it slowly? I mean, bit by bit, maybe start speaking up where normally I'd remain silent? It shouldn't be so hard to say what you feel! But sometimes I don't say anything because I'm the type that needs time to process and think about things before I articulate how I feel.

• 4 months later...

My boyfriend of nearly 2 years and I broke up 3 months ago. We never once talked about feelings or the future, each building up resentments inside as we never communicated. It felt like we were solely existing together on the surface..... with the life being sucked out of me ! I had severe communication problems too but I think when you have TWO people in the relationship who are as useless as each other at communicating, it is a recipe for disaster. Usually you have one that is willing to break the ice or make an effort and that generally gets the other one to open up.

It all exploded in one night with him finishing with me - was extremely hard as we'd never even had any arguments before. I'm still struggling now.So please people do not let things go unsaid, don't even not communicate, it will be the slow death of a relationship, believe me.

Archived