You're probably going to say this is rediculous.

ok, so Im new to this forum, i'm not real sure of how the tone is on your board but i really needed to find somewhere to get some opinions and this seems like a fine way to do it. Well then, that said I'll begin the story:

Five months ago I found myself demolishing the already weakening remains of a 6 month relationship in a way that made me somewhat uncomfortable. You see, I really liked the guy, but no matter how many times I told myself that I still liked his girlfriend this much more...

We've been together since then... and needless to say we had a rocky start but its made things develop very fast, the "i love you"s started about 2 months in and as much as we've been through already (its been a rough year for us both) we have yet to look back at how hard its all been... and nothing makes me happier than hearing her voice on my voicemail on my break at work, she makes me cry for the joy of being whole with her in my arms, somewhere along the way we both decided this must be that forever kind of stuff. And a marriage proposal is still in the works but its verymuch understood to be coming (so much so that we sometimes refer to each other as "my fiance"). i dont ever want to be anything but this happy...

What I haven't told you is that I'm seventeen, she's sixteen, and she wont let me change my plans for college, she'll be commuting to FIT in two years after she graduates highschool, I graduate at the end of next school year and all my most suitable colleges are not within home-for-the-weekend distance... this i've decided will be our most important test, if we can survive my first year of college then we will get married.

She and I both have settled into a "MAKE THIS WORK" mentality and its serving us well so far. so I plan to propose before i move away for school and lately as sure as I am that i want to spend the rest of my life with her I just can't see how this will make life easier right now... well i think i can...

I guess what i need is someone to talk me out of it or someone to encourage me, or maybe just someone who likes the story... I dunno but thanks for your time...

so I plan to propose before i move away for school and lately as sure as I am that i want to spend the rest of my life with her I just can't see how this will make life easier right now... well i think i can...

I agree. What real purpose do you think proposing would make? The only thing I can see it doing is placing unnecessary pressure on your relationship.

And I know you have thought about this too but you are both so young. I hope you guys do stay together forever and of course it is fun to have those dreams and share them with each other but making a public commitment (engagement) at you age and stage of life I think is potentially more risky than not doing so.

It sounds like you guys are pretty keen on eachother. But you guys are still young. And marriage is a very big step. You both need to sit down with eachother and talk about if this is the right decision. It may be the right one but is it to soon? If as you said that your relationship can survive you going to college before your girlfriend then it must mean you can. Maybe when you do ask her marry you she won't be ready you never know. But if that happens you need to respect her decision. Not everyone is ready when they are asked. I hope this helped somewhat.