Is this normal?

Yes, I think so - before the date he was only letting you know he liked you via phone calls - now you have gone to the next level - a date, he probably doesn't want to rush it from here, or push you - I'm sure if you asked him out again he'd say yes! If he didn't enjoy himself you probably wouldn't be hearing from him at all!

Sounds normal to me. First dates are primarily to see if you click enough for a second date. Sometimes we never know why after a seemingly great first date a second date doesn't happen. He might have not been attracted to you romantically, got back together with an ex, met someone else, etc. The flower arrangement and good manners is very nice but it doesn't mean he wants to see you a second time. When a man calls me after a first date but doesn't ask me out, during the second conversation, I usually say something like "it's great to hear from you -- if you want to get together again that would be fun" and see what he says. If he continues to call without asking me out I say nicely "great to talk to you again but honestly, I have enough phone friends right now - if you're ever interested in getting together again, you know where to find me."

i actually did ask him if he wanted to do something later in the week and he said he thought that'd be great... he's a professional baseball scout for the yankees and worked as a college batting coach before that so he wants to take me to a batting cage and work on my swing... lol... ought to be an interesting second date. i had just noticed that he wasn't calling as much... had no idea whether or not that was the norm with guys...

Not in my experience. I'm not a huge fan of talking very often between date one and two - it's so early on and I want to get to know the guy at a reasonable pace and not have me thinking I am constantly available to talk to him and don't have other friends, actiivites, etc.